Thai Movies

Nervous_Dog

I am up in the village watching a fairly recent Thai movie, and it strike me the same as the first I ever saw.

"Pee Mai Gin Fun" is a comedy/horror movie, and I think I may have posted about it before.

The ending though is poignant, especially in the current climate.

One of a group of friends is possessed by a ghost of a soldier 100 years dead.

It seems the soldier was part of a coup, and got was betrayed, and died, now seeking vengeance on the re-born soldiers who betrayed him.

In many ways, the end isn't funny, scary, more interesting and sad.

That's the odd thing about Thai movies, the hero's often die, comedies get confused with drama and horror, and they love katoeys

I just finished watching Kwan Riam DVD,I do enjoy Thai Movies just because they don't follow the Hollywood standard of good guys win and theres always happy ending, in Thai scripts,especially drama so many of them I've seen have sad, heart breaking scenes and the happy ending comes with a new life and meeting up in another age.One of my favoutites is the one with the cobra who befriends the girl then kills her BF.

A very buddist belief but disconcerting, a few years ago they released a movie for the Valentines called Lost Love, terrible storyline based on the unhappy love life of a 30 something woman who'd divorced her husband and her life just went from bad to worse.

I pick up many Thai movie DVDs with english subtitles sold cheaply in Manpong stores, the ones listed above as well as one about 1974 democracy struggle, and one about the Rape of Naking and one called Song of the Chaopraya about a girl who gets coerced into the sex business, great filming in Bangkok and on the Chaopraya 20 years ago.

Unfortunately it seems that many of the new releases are not being issued with foreign subtitles.:(

JP

Archived