divorce & remarriage...how long?

MikeN

I got a phone call from an old BG friend the other night..

"khun mike, I have problem"

Oh (sensing a monetary request) what problem?

"peter (her long time regular) ask me marry him'

congratulations ....So whats the problem?

"I marry before, thai man, he no good, i leave him, no divorce, no tell peter"

Yes, that could be problem..

"What i do ?"

What am I, a thai lawyer ? how the **** would I know? So she has to get divorced by Xmas...

Anyway, this morning a google tells me she can get a divorce on the spot at the amphur office, IF she can find him and he agrees. So, any suggestions how she might track down her long lost husband ? I am NOT paying for an expensive private detective ! And if that fails, anybody know how long a divorce takes through the courts ?

and then I found this:

A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

Has given birth to a child.

Remarrying the same person.

Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

If I read that right, she has to get a doctor to certify she is not pregnant if she wants to marry in less than 310 days from date of divorce ?

Correct, or should I say it was correct in the mid 90's when I married my ex.

Even though we had been together for 3 years before we wed she was still officially married to a Thai and as well as getting divorce papers she also needed to get the certificate from the Doctor, it can be done in an hour.

I expect your friends biggest problem will be tracking down her ex and getting him to agree to a divorce.

I think elef has it right, a few baht could fix it. But remember that that also brings him back on the scene. A lot of Thai girls retain fond memories of no good Thai husbands.

Better she confesses all. He knows she works bar, what should a husband or two matter.

Just tell his mother or sister that she wants to marry a farang and I think he'll contact quickly and asks for money... :evil:

Elef, that is what I mean, getting the medical cerificate stating she is not pregnant can be done for a couple of hundred baht, registering the divorce with the same city hall the marriage is registered at, 500 Baht, but the cost to buy off the ex-husband.

Oh (sensing a monetary request) what problem?

"peter (her long time regular) ask me marry him'

congratulations ....So whats the problem?

"I marry before, thai man, he no good, i leave him, no divorce, no tell peter"

looks like another farang want to marry a honest bar lady. :whatever:

Archived