Airport to Hotel

Victor1960

There is no "unsafe" method. Just some are more expensive than others.

You get bombarded by touts asking if you want a taxi, so even proper counters saying airport limo. Using them is the easiest, but most expensive. It'll run you ~B800 (AU$27) to town in a newish Toyota Camry or similar.

If you choose to ignore them, go outside arrivals, run the gauntlet of more touts and people waiting for friends, and find the lift or escalator that goes down. On the ground floor, you'll find a clearly marked meter taxi stand. Go to the desk and tell them where you want to go. You'll get a chit with your destination and the taxi driver's name/licnse #/telephone on it. The cost is meter plus B50 plus tip. Last night, I went from the airport, to my place on Thonglor, then on to Cowboy. Meter showed B181, plus the B50. He was a nice guy so I gave him B320 (AU$11) and told him to get a plate of noodles on me.

Now 50% chance the driver will try to not use the meter even at this stand. Just tell him to. They will, you have is contact info on the chit and he knows it. I do not blame them for trying -- taxi prices have not changed in 10+ years, so these guys are getting shafted due to the high fuel prices.

There's an airport bus too. It looks nice and clean. But I have no ideas on how much or how to use it. I cannot be arsed to save a few pennies when it costs me an hour of my life!

Cheers,

SD

As Tiger says, cbs are OK, insist on meter, and KEEP the little slip of paper.

I once in extreme tiredness and late arrival left my money and papers in the cab, and ended up standing in the middle of Suk at midnite with suitcase but pennyless. Due to the little slip of paper my documents, creditcards and cask were safely delivered the next morning when the cabby found it in his backseat.

Thanks to the galant people of Bar with No Name, I even spent the night in between both well lubricated as well as in charming company.

There is no "unsafe" method. Just some are more expensive than others.

You get bombarded by touts asking if you want a taxi, so even proper counters saying airport limo. Using them is the easiest, but most expensive. It'll run you ~B800 (AU$27) to town in a newish Toyota Camry or similar.

If you choose to ignore them, go outside arrivals, run the gauntlet of more touts and people waiting for friends, and find the lift or escalator that goes down. On the ground floor, you'll find a clearly marked meter taxi stand. Go to the desk and tell them where you want to go. You'll get a chit with your destination and the taxi driver's name/licnse #/telephone on it. The cost is meter plus B50 plus tip. Last night, I went from the airport, to my place on Thonglor, then on to Cowboy. Meter showed B181, plus the B50. He was a nice guy so I gave him B320 (AU$11) and told him to get a plate of noodles on me.

Now 50% chance the driver will try to not use the meter even at this stand. Just tell him to. They will, you have is contact info on the chit and he knows it. I do not blame them for trying -- taxi prices have not changed in 10+ years, so these guys are getting shafted due to the high fuel prices.

There's an airport bus too. It looks nice and clean. But I have no ideas on how much or how to use it. I cannot be arsed to save a few pennies when it costs me an hour of my life!

Cheers,

SD

Oh frabjous day, he chortled in his glee.

Take the 552 bus, like 22 Baht, if you want to do it on the cheap.

Air con bus, not too bad.

The right time of the day (not rush hour) it is about as quick as a taxi.

Will take you an extra 15 minutes, as you have to take the airport shuttle bus to the bus terminal in the airport.

If I drop people off at the airport, I always take the 552 bus back.

Got screwed on my last visit. By the time I got to the Nana Hotel, ended up paying aroun 550 Baht, including the 50 Baht fee. (Meter was used) I also paid the tolls. I am not too familiar with the route from the airport so he must have taken the "scenic route" normally costs me around 300 Baht total form the airport to the Nana. Hopefully I will get a good driver for my visit in November who knows the shortest way to Suk Soi4.

I second that. I took a metered cab from Don Muang two years ago and the fucker took the short route to my destination and didn't hit traffic at all, but I had to pay up double the usual cost. At the time I was in doubt whether the taxi fares had gone up (would be fair after all since the oil price hikes) but this wasn't the case. You got shafted on the meter is my guess.

Archived