Marine Sniper Slapped With 3,000-Yard Restraining Order

TheCorinthian

Former Marine Sniper Slapped With 3,000-Yard Restraining Order

November 1, 2006 | Issue 42â?¢44

MACON, GAâ??Citing Emily Holman's right to feel safe traversing vast open spaces, especially when within visual range of clock towers, parking structures, and tall buildings, a judge awarded the 28-year-old a 3,000-yard restraining order yesterday against her former boyfriend, retired Marine sniper Gordon Lee Blackwood. "When we broke up he started calling me 10 times a day from his job," said Holman, who realized Blackwood's office building, which had an open, flat roof, was only 1,800 yards away. "He had me flinching every time I saw sunlight glinting off any surface within two and a half miles." Blackwood would not comment on the judge's decision, saying only that he still loved Holman and was trying to understand the distance and crosswinds that separated them.

Yes, its a joke!

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I've had a fascination with snipers and how they operate. How they have a spotter with them and the patience it takes. The waiting and being patient is the part that takes a lot of mental strength.

Perhaps some of you have heard of two of the more famous sniper stories. The one in WW2 that became a movie that pitted the best Russian sniper v. the German one and in the Vietnam war that had a bounty on an American sniper and the Vietnamese sent their best sniper after him and the American shot him through the lenses right before the guy was about to shoot him.

I know a retired Army warrant officer - ex-sniper with something like 35 confirmed kills in VN. Nice guy ... but I'd hate to piss him off. (He was a LRRP before becoming a sniper.) He told about taking out an NVA political officer with a long distance shot from a tree. The NVA figured out where the shot had to come from and the two GIs got pursued for several days before they got away.

He's a white guy and likes to tell about the time he walked into a black bar in Birmingham, AL and shouted: "Ah'm looking for the biggest meanest N-- in the place!" Everybody turned around wondering what was up. A black guy answered, "Ah'm that N--, you white SOB." Then they threw their arms around each other, since they'd been that sniper team in VN.

p.s. The Army has tests to be a sniper. One of them involves convincing the shrink that you have no reluctance to kill anyone - and no guilt feelings for doing so. Strange folks!

Nah. I know guys who refused to fire at a VC or NVA in Vietnam. One guy was an assistant platoon leader in the infantry. He told me he'd fire at the ground near an enemy soldier's feet. What do you do if bullets start bouncing around you? You turn and run.

Of course, when you see a few friends killed, you tend to get over your reluctance to fire back. I know I did, sorry to say.

p.s. A retired Lt-Col told me about his men risking their lives to capture a 12 year old sniper in the Korean War. He thought they were crazy. Just shoot the kid and have done with it.

That sounds like a sniper. LRRPs too. The LRRPs used to be kept apart from the ordinary grunts. Also raving loonies were the helicopter door gunners, who'd fire at anything. A friend was a helo pilot. He insisted the door gunners should hold their reunions in a mental institution!

The famous remark by a door gunner when asked how he could shoot a nun on a bicycle, which he'd just done: "You give them more lead."

:p

Archived