got some fascist "anti-terror" requirement

dabbish

i got this in my mailbox:

According to the Immigration laws of Thailand on the ground of domestic safety and security control, the immigration office notified that all foreign residents holding passports who live in The XXX Building are required to inform personal data by completeing the registration form provided by the Building together with certifying copy of passport and return it to the Building wihtin 30 days as from the date of announcement.

Do I have to comply with this shit?

And what is a certified copy of my passport anyays?

Or - if you hold a U.S. passport, you can go to the U.S. Embassy and obtain a formal certified copy of your passport. A friend of mine carries one for identification, instead of his real passport.

As I recall, it cost him a thousand baht or two. Since neither the cost nor procedure for this kind of certified passport is nontrivial, certainly confirm what it is that they really need.

And yes, college students tend to be at an age that is ripe for recruitment for terrorists. Maybe there is a real life connection between their stated reason and the real reason for this request.

Typically when you move into an apartment they ask for a copy of your passport and work permit. When I moved into my current apartment, I complied no problem.

Two years ago (or thereabouts) they asked me to update my information. I told them to go suck wind and I never heard from them again.

But I do believe it is a requirement that they report on you to the government.

Archived