1-2-Go claims another

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

28 Sep 2007

Foreign victim dies, crash toll now 90

A Welsh woman left fighting for her life after surviving the plane crash at Phuket has died, a spokeswoman for the British Foreign Office confirmed.

Bethan Jones, 22, died in hospital in Bangkok from burns to 50 per cent of her body, suffered in the One-Two-Go crash at Phuket on Sept 16.

Two days after the crash, she was flown by Royal Thai Air Force military aircraft to a special unit in Bangkok General Hospital, but the effort to save her eventually proved futile. She never regained consciousness.

Her death brought the death toll in the accident to 90. Her body has been flown home, officials said.

The One-Two-Go flight from Bangkok skidded, crashed and burst into flames after trying to land in pouring rain at the resort.

Just three days into a planned six-month, round-the-world trip, Miss Jones and companion Alex Collins, 22, decided to leave Bangkok and head for the Thai resort of Phuket.

Yeah ..unbelievable

Actually it's not unbelievable. Her condition was obviously extremely serious when she was taken to a local hospital and it is quite likely that moving her around wouldn't have done her any good. No doubt better to let her stabilize before moving her. Anyway how would they have moved her to Bangkok as the airport was presumably closed after the crash. Only option would have been helicopter.

I just did a quick trip to Dallas, Texas on United.

Boarded the plane. They couldn't get the cockpit door to close and lock.

The maintenance people (not United employees) horsed around with the door for one hour and then they decided to take the plane out of service.

Everybody off the plane and back to the check in counters to try to get on another flight. About 200 very pissed off people!!! :mad:

I got on another flight two hours later. Boarded the plane...a constant ding-sing-ding sound was heard and they had Billy Bob and Cletus back on the plane to try to repair the communication system. After one hour of working on it, they swapped out the Com computer and we were good to go. We went out to the runway but they new computer was still screwed up, so they did a reboot and that worked, we took off.

Five hours of delay.

F'ing airlines!!! Every flight I have been on for the past year they **** always *** are doing maintenance at the gate...WTF!!!!

I wrote a nasty letter to United, a'holes!!!

1. no United employees there to do maintenance...WTF!

2. ALWAYS doing maintenance at the gate...another WTF!!!

OH...your union should be spitting fire at these United a'holes!!!

Every time going thru Narita, they do maintenance.

Guess it is USA FAA policy to fly unsafe planes :dunno:

Understand you're pissed off, Cav, but I think the fact that if something does go wrong, I'd much rather them try to fix it at the gate rather than say "let it take off like that and we'll fix it when it comes back into the hanger."

Maybe you've just had an unlucky run.

It's happened to all regular travellers, I'm sure.

I had a six month run without any delays whatsoever, then the following 3 months probably 80% of all flights I took had a delay due to some problem or other.

I'd rather wait an hour or three than fly on something with a problem.

Archived