Subletting

dabbish

Hi,

I want to sublet my condo. The contract I signed was in Thai which I didn't understand. They provided me with a translation and it stated, although in grammatical incorrect English, that I had the right to sublet it. But now when I spoke to the building administration they told me that I did not have the right to.

I don't understand their refusal to cooperate, when it's obvious that they made a mistake. So I wonder what is the legality of this?

Also, if I do decide to breach my contract, in how many days could they evict me? In Sweden it's 3 months starting from the first day of the following month. Is there a similar rule/law in Thailand?

They can evict you tomorrow and keep your deposit. That said, if you keep paying the rent and your landlord is not around, and you new tenant is quiet, then all should be well.

I guess though that you have let the cat out of the bag talking to them - why do people not think about this first ?

To get out of this situation, I'd just sort it out with the sublease, not telling them and say that your friend would be staying there whilst you were away just to take care of the flat.

I suspect that the real reason they don't want sub letting, apart from them missing out on extra profits, is the deposit thing but you would have to leave your deposit where it is, get a deposit off the new guy and then pay him it back later, hoping to get yours back.

They can evict you tomorrow and keep your deposit.

Yeah I was afraid of that :(

why do people not think about this first

because it was in the translated contract. but yeah, boy do i feel like a sucker now.

i do like your idea and it just has to work. as long as you get the person that's subletting it to consent.

man these people are really starting to piss me off. what can i do to fuck with them? what if i sell the TV and take the micro-wave oven with me? would that be illegal?

If the english translation was signed by both parties, then it is legal, but it sounds like it is only a translation, although that does not really matter much since it will be you against the owner and there is no automatic protection of your rights.

If they want to kick you out, there is not really anything you can do about it, if you don't get your deposit back, same deal, you are on your own.

I will not recomend that you sell any items not belonging to you, that would be a criminal offence and can potentially get you into real trouble.

If you signed the English translation, then you are protected. But because you do not know how the Thai legal system works, then you are fucked. Where I lived, everything was nice for years until they got a new building administrator. If I didn't know better, I would say the new administrator did not like me even though I was there only a few weeks under her reign of terror.

As for breaking a lease, there should be a pay out provision in order to get out of the lease.

It sounds like you are being pressured hoping you will seek the bail out provision. It sounds like it is all about money, and the money is only your money.

Caveat emptor

You signed for how long and how long is remaining ?

Why do you want to sublet ? Normal reasons are a move of job (the loss of your deposit has to be factored into your pay negotiations if you have to move), you have a personal reason to move out or you cannot afford it.

If you have 2 months deposit down, work out if you can lose one month. You could perhaps get away with not paying the rent for a month and then leave. The landlord would be up one month's rent. You could ask the landlord if he would let you out with one month's notice and refund one month.

If you have to move because of work, think about how much taxis are until the end of your contract versus the deposit you lose. It is all a balancing act and netting one loss off against another gain and making the most economical decision unless of course you have a loony TG after you then just move !

Archived