Track Star Marion Jones Guilty

Steve

Sad to learn about Jones. They need to keep all the sports clean. I've watched a lot of my most respected NFL players and other US athletes die off in their 40's. People shouldn't be pressured to throw away half of their life to steal a moment of glory from the person who deserved it. These incidents always makes me recall Rocky IV where ironically they show the American hero being a nuts and bolts tough guy where Russia was doping to create a super athlete.

Nowadays there is big money in athletics. In the old days, there wasn't much money at all. Now, you can become a multimillioniare. So that gives them an added incentive. Not only the fame as it was in my my day.

Perhaps we should also have all athletes competing in the OG sign something saying that they could get fines of up to a certain amount as well as criminal prosecution if they committ steroid abuse? Is that too harsh?

I've also heard of cases where coaches gave players drugs unwittingly. Those coaches should definitely spend time in jail. Its one thing for the athelete to be complicit in it, but another thing to be duped into taking drugs that could cause health problems.

Honestly, I think an athlete would have to be pretty naive to not notice their coach was sleeping them steroids.

Being asked to start taking some strange substance would be the first giveaway. Then all of a sudden their body starts changing, performance goes up, recovery time goes down, and they think it's just a training miracle? I know some of them aren't the brightest stars in the sky, but even they can put 1 and 1 together to make 2.

We were given tablets after practice. We were told they were potassium tablets that would help our muslces recover and not suffer muscle pulls. They were in fact potassium but we took our coaches word for it. If it was an injection its one thing but when you're 17, 18, 19 years old in sports, you're raised in sports and told whatever the coach says goes. I think its how its administered and if a coach was canny enough he could give a player drugs unknowingly. With steroids its easy to notice after a while. Especially in track (athletics) because steroids is such a hot button issue that you're always aware of it.

I was very skinny coming out of HS and my first semester they fed me lots of meats, put me on a weight lifting program and I came home for the holidays 11 pounds heavier and more muscular than I left and my family and friends were joking about steroids at my college. They knew I wouldn't do it but I did get bigger kinda quick.

I read that in Brazil some coaches add stuff to soccer players diets in youth academies to get them bigger, faster.

Archived