Coss in Los - of Aviva and Seacon Square and Soi 33 and no name bars

Coss

The current adventures of your roving correspondent, fish licker and wannabe food critic. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

So my look sow, wants a mobile, having got it into my head that Seacon Square may offer better prices than MBK, I google a little map. Looks simple, On Nut BTS station, down that road and up that road, I could do a short walk. As it happens when I got there I was hot and bothered so I grabbed a cab, and that's when I met Geronimo.

Geronimo was the cab driver, about ninety years old, wizened, consumptive, dissolute and sporting a pair of coke bottle bottom glasses that serve to collect light for his eyes. Yes he knew Seacon Square, so off we go. At considerable speed. And with agility not becoming of a middle aged Toyota.

The coke bottle bottom glasses appeared to be helping him navigate, and whilst I thought that he was taking me to wherethefuckarewe? I then noticed the Soi 77 sign from the little map and concluded we were in for a longer trip than I had first thought. As we turned into Soi 77, barely on 4 wheels, scattering motor cycles in all directions, he started talking to me in Thai, one coke bottle bottom glass lens on me and one coke bottle bottom glass lens on the road, two different directions, like a chameleon. I didn't know what he was saying. He didn't appear to be too excited so I didn't worry.

Hang on we've been past that building before! Whoaa! huge high speed u turn between two trucks and then we were there. Now that was exciting.

Had a look around the mobiles at Seacon and concluded that MBK was the place for me.

Taxi to Seacon Square with Geronimo 110 bht. Return taxi to On Nut with a regular driver, 60 bht.

OK, Aviva Massage. Turn into Suk Soi 8, 1st sub Soi on right, there it is. Great Wat Po style massage and full service, 400 for the massage and 1500 for the other. Really cute operative with great assets. I was walking 1 foot off the ground when I left. I'll go back.

On the corner of Suk and Soi 15 is my new favourite restaurant. Ken Lok or some similar name. Open air, formica table, lotsa duck in the display case. and a busboy who must be 100. I had Wild Pork and Oyster Mushrooms, really good, they didn't have any Goat or Deer guts this time. One dish I like that I've had in the past is Wonton soup, fairly ordinary you might say, but not only is it delicious, they slice a portion of Roast Duck into it, very nice.

Spent the early evening at a no name bar, getting liquored up, and the latter part of the evening at another no name bar being the subject of a naked girl's attentions, well I mean, what do you say? OK bar fine you me and back to the hotel. Cor!

The next day, must be Wednesday by now, got to the liquoring up establishment just as the rain started. As I did, I noticed the traffic had stopped. An hour or so later and I attempt to dodge the worst of the rain and get a cab. No good, all traffic stopped, me very wet Kiwi. Ahh BTS, what a saviour, and Christie's Soi 33 here I come.

When I arrived, my stretch Princess (of whom I've spoken before) hastens to dry me off and then there was gin, pool and more gin.

At this point my resolve becomes wobbly and I bar fine her. To Cowboy! and fortunately, the cab went back streets so as not to be stuck in the still immobile traffic on Suk. After more gins, the bed was calling, and I write this just as she's left on Thursday.

Signing off for now

Coss

The "bus boy" at Ken Loc, if he was thin as a bean, was actually the owner and he will be the last of his line to run that venerable establishment according to an article last year in the Bangkok Post. The kids all have Uni educations and are not interested.

The place has been in operation so long that the Formica on the table-tops has worn through to the wood underneath.

The duck dishes I've had there have always been delicious; closes at 9pm

Archived