Want Eat Cat, Mai?

zanemay

Just Another Cooking Show

Channel surfing in Thailand. Click, click, click. Wait! Was that a cat? Go back. Click, click. Yes it is a cat. With its throat cut! Is that a cat with its throat cut on TV!? Is that a guy holding an upside-down cat with its throat cut on TV!? Draining out its blood. Yes it is a guy holding an upside-down cat with its throat cut on TV draining out its blood. Some kind of ritual sacrifice?

Three Thai guys, none of whom could be thought of as beauty candidates, were working on this scrawny little cat. I didn't see them kill it, but that was all I missed. When they finished draining out all the blood they dipped the little critter in boiling water for a few seconds to loosen the fur. Then they popped it onto a board and scraped it madly with Chinese soup spoons. After the fur was gone, Whap!!, they chopped off its head. Hey! It's starting to look like dinner!

At this point my girlfriend Noi, who was pretty much grossed out, translated the comment, "Cat tastes a lot like pig." And Thai people love pig!

Head gone, it was time to slice it open and take out the guts. Yuuuck!! Some of this was set aside for eating some to make tennis rackets I guess. Out comes the knife again and the little thing is chopped up into many littler things. A wok is put on the fire, oil, vegetables and seasoning are added. The guys are looking anxious. Hungry anxious. Jail hungry anxious.

After a few minutes of stir fry, dinner is served. Smacking with voluble satisfaction the fellows pick at the little pieces and suck tiny bits of meat off the bones. I'm not sure what one scrawny little flea bag pussycat does for three burly guys, but I think their neighbors should think twice before investing in flea collars.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to some Filipino men on my recent holiday who thought nothing of stabbing a dog in the throat, waiting for it to die a painful death, then spit-roasting it. They then enquired why I didn't fancy eating dog.

A while later they were disputing the fact that Westerners think they are uncivilised people. Usually heartless cruelty and an uncivilised nature come hand in hand...there's no need to beat dogs to death or cut up cats who, psychologically, know what's going on more than the average cow on a farm. Usually it's a free fun snack after a drunken night that can sometimes be put down to "culture" somehow.

I'd rather become vegetarian than slaughter a sensitive animal for a snack. Or just have some toast!

Sounds like it shocked you ? I guess it would surprise me, but no that much (TIT). IMO, in the end it is all meat and I feel the same whether it is cow, pig, cat etc. Before it is cooked I don't like to look at it. When it is cooked I very rarely eat it.

What about the calf feeding pens for veal, the goose force-feeding for foie gras, the live boiling of lobsters, etc? These are foods eaten by perhaps the most 'civilised' peoples on the planet.

A great book on the subject is 'Strange Foods' by Jerry Hopkins who also happens to live in Thailand.

I have not eaten meat or fish for 30 years, but if people want to eat animals that's up to them.

I cannot see any difference between eating any mammal, to say one is more sensitive or intelligent so should be off the menu is not very convincing.Why do people think scoffing mr pig down, quite an intelligent beast, is alright but then get upset at the thought of cats, dogs, monkeys and horses being eaten?

If you are going to eat animals you might as well make a meal of it, there are far too many cats and dogs around anyway.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

Just Another Cooking Show

Nice one Zane.

But if anyome missed this and would like to learn more about how to cook and eat cats then you should have a look here.

This is a lovely site hosted by PWEETA (People Who Enjoy Eating Tasty Animals). And it's nice to know that PWEETA "fully supports your right to eat cat (felis domesticus), or any other game meat in the privacy of your own home." The pictures are great!

Cheers

I've been in the Korean country side and have seen dog farms not dog pounds. Eating a dog is no different then eating cow or fish. It's all culture dependent pussy cat is okay if you shave it first. Also you should try long pig it taste just like chicken. tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

This is a lovely site hosted by PWEETA (People Who Enjoy Eating Tasty Animals). And it's nice to know that PWEETA "fully supports your right to eat cat (
felis domesticus
), or any other game meat in the privacy of your own home." The pictures are great!

That is f*cking hilarious! I'm guessing PWEETA is a play on the name of the amimal rights organization PETA ('people for the ethical treatment of animals').

Reminds me of the un-PC respnose to MADD (mothers against drunk driving): DAMM - drunks against madd mothers.

Pete: "I cannot see any difference between eating any mammal, to say one is more sensitive or intelligent so should be off the menu is not very convincing.Why do people think scoffing mr pig down, quite an intelligent beast, is alright but then get upset at the thought of cats, dogs, monkeys and horses being eaten?"

True, they are all mammals and therefore edible. As are humans right? Some animals are preferable for eating for good reason.

1) how much meat is on cats/dogs compared to cattle, precisely the reason they've been farmed for centuries.

2) how intelligent are cats/dogs/horses compared to other cattle? Much more so, hence how they become tame, close to humans, loyal and domesticated.

3)how can they be more sensitive to possible danger/suffering? Cattle are grouping animals - the most intelligent being sheep who sometimes show signs of knowing what happens in a slaughter house as the fate gets passed along the queue. Cats and dogs are much more "warm" in terms of this. Ask any animal psychologist.

If I had to kill an animal for my own food (thank God we have slaughter houses here!) I sure as hell would leave stabbing or beating a monkey,cat or dog to death for the above reasons. But likewise I'd stop if I saw an injured animal instead of ignoring it...

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: LondonFun ]

Archived