7 y.o. Out Of School For Pic Of Gun

Steve

A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension .

Kyle Walker, 7, was suspended last week for violating Dennis Township Primary School's zero-tolerance policy on guns, the boy's mother, Shirley McDevitt, told The Press of Atlantic City.

Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.

A photocopy of the picture provided by McDevitt showed two stick figures with one pointing a crude-looking gun at the other, the newspaper said. What appeared to be the word "me" was written above the shooter, with another name scribbled above the other figure.

School officials declined to comment Friday. A message left at the superintendent's office Saturday was not returned.

Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops, the newspaper reported.

Nowadays you can get kicked out of elementary school for playing 'cops and robbers'. Things all of us did as kids, is now a suspension at school.

We're now a nation of pussies. There can't be 'zero tolerance'. There has to be a case by case. Bringing a loaded gun, fine, you're out. No problems. Being a 'normal' 7 y.o., can you kicked out. I recall a story a few years ago where a HS kid got kicked out for having a swiss army knife that he got as a gift from his grandfather.

All cases aren't the same in the eyes of the law, judges dismiss or give lighter senses based on the cirucmstances. The same should be with this 'zero tolerance' thing. Look at each case.

I even recall a little kindergartner boy suspended for kissing a girl and violating the zero tolerance for sexual harrassment. Stuff that we all did (after we found out girls didn't have cooties)

Guest lazyphil

its the same here steve....i'm in dispare of how nuts things have become. for fecks sake, in some schools children have to wear protective goggles if they play 'conkers' in the playground, wtf?

I want to hear from the parents who reported it. I guarantee you they have their kid on meds and the dad is pussified. My dad would have told the other dad to grow a pair and get his pants back from his wife. The school is probably scared of lawsuits so they overreact.

What kind of kids, especially boys are we raising nowadays? The ones that will get run over by women as well as the world if they can't be a normal kid.

question, can they even have a tether ball and pole any more or is that a weapon? padded play grounds so the kiddies don't scrape their arms or legs.. We are getting to soft.. Suck it up and go on with life.. Loved dodge ball. lost at times and hurt like h#@l but taught you to move fast or be a good catcher.. dodge ball that is.

Dodge ball is banned in some schools. I saw that once. Funny thing is its the suburban schools that have these types of rules. My friend teaches in the inner city and says it would be impossible to try those types of rules there. They are just glad the kids make it in there and are reasonably mannered.

I was always drawing cars in grade school , and I did not have a drivers licence :(

So "day dreaming" about driving might lead to an accident....

Ummm throw me out for a few days...

If these rules were in force when we were kids there would be no one left in class....

OC

rocking the boat even in grade school :)

Archived