7 y.o. Out Of School For Pic Of Gun

Steve

Thank god they never found the pics I drew of Ms. Ligati, my 4th grade teacher, in bondage! :shocked What a bitch she was. Not that I have any issues or anything. What happens in 4th grade stays in 4th grade, right?

Come to think of it, isn't "ligati" Italian or Latin or something for "tied"?

By the end of junior high we all carried lock blades, a knife that was like a switch blade but you flipped it and the blade 'locked' in position. The thing was we got into fist fights and no one every used theirs, even if you're losing because it was a) considered cowardly and you took your beating or said you indicated the other guy got the best of you and B) it was strictly for defensive purposes if you were jumped by more than one people or in a rival neighborhood and c) it was like th MAD (mutual assured destruction) theory with the U.S. and the USSR. Everyone had one and if everyone used it, it would be too much carnage and no winners. You assumed everyone had one and most kids did. A bit later, guns became very very prevalent and the kids started shooting each other. This came with the crack epidemic. I look back and think how it seemed crazy now that we all had knives. But there was a code. It was silly (and stupid) really in hindsight but at the time you really did get one for protection only. You never wanted to use it and was scared a situation would come where you had to. Even the bullies knew you wouldn't use it and you knew they wouldn't use theirs. There were exceptions but those kids were crazy and usually spent a lot of time in juvenile detension. I would imagine those kids would be dead or in prison when guns became prevalent.

I talked to a fella who grew up in in a tough Italian neighbourhood of NYC in the 1940s and '50s. He said he couldn't remember how many fights he'd been in, but there were unofficial rules. 1) You never used a weapon, since that meant you were chicken shit. 2)You never kicked anyone when they were down. 3) You always fought one on one. All that seems to have gone out of the window now. :(

Same rules applied in our neighborhood as well. If a guy had a beef with you and he was with his friens and you were alone you could ask for a 'fair one' meaning mano a mano and his friends would not jump in. All they would do is stop it if he was losing too badly and say 'enough'. This was when we all had lock blades.

Archived