Atm machines in 7-11's

Only explanation I have is that I am living in a parallel universe where the technical limitations imposed upon (at least 2 other)peoples ATM cards do not apply to me!

But seriously, I do run into the occasional ATM that won't give me money but they are definitely in the minority.

I once drove to Aranya Prathet with 50 baht in my wallet (stupid I admit). Got there and for the next 5 hours went searching for an ATM that would give me money. Finally found a Bangkok Bank that worked.

Have accounts with the 4 biggest Thai banks and have noticed the following with regards to ATM's:

Bangkok Bank. Best transaction software, most locations and most are 24 hour. English option is standard.

Thai Farmers. Best video screens, and it is nice to look at the e-girls while your waiting for your money.

Siam Commercial Bank. Bad software, terrible locations and the biggest problem (for me) is that I can't get money after 11 pm. Even if the machine says it is a 24 hour ATM. No problem to get money from the same machine using a Bangkok Bank ATM card, but put in a SCB card and get nothing. Of course this is where my company puts the monthly salary!

Krung Thai. Don't use too much anymore. Their machines were older and software not as updated.

It wasn't 5 years ago that all ATM's were closed at 10 or 11 pm, and getting one in English (if you had a local bank card) was next to impossible.

Right now the ATM situation is Bangkok is very convenient to say the least.

One problem with some ATMs in LOS is that they actually just run out of money. Especially on weekends, holidays, etc. Most can only be refilled from within the bank during regular hours. If the machine is in an area where gamblers abound, a few of them can deplete it pretty quick. Watched 8-10 of them max out 5-6 cards each in 1/2 an hour then move onto the next one down the street. Had to go 15 blocks to find one with money.

Archived