Whats in your wallet!

dean

Not Capital One, at least not in my wallet! While in the U.S. last month, I chewcked out several financial institutions that over money market rates and free ATM withdrawls. I decided Cap. One over Schawb because of the higher rate offered (4.66 over 4.05). On doing the application over the phone, I told the customer rep that I livied in Tahiland and would be going back in 2 weeks and could they hurry the ATM card to me? She said no and I decided to have my brother mail it when it came, as I use his address to have my U.S. mail sent to. This account also allowed me to link the two other bank accounts to it and transfer money to the money market account. Last week, I went online to transfer money from one non-cap. one account to cap. one and answered one of the security questions wrong 3 times and had the account disabled. I had to call them so I drove from San Kamphaene to Chiang Mai to an internet shop that allows internation calls at a decent rate. They then told me that, in an e-mail to them the previous day, I had said that I live in Thailand and they don't allow customers to live outside the U.S. and they cancelled my account. So, that leaves me with Schawb or Citibank and I imagine that it will be a lot harder to set it up from here than in the U.S. I guess, when dealing with financial intstiutions, don't tell them where you really live, if its outside the U.S.

I thought that their holding your first deposit for 30 days before you can use the money was excessive (even five business days for subsequent deposits is more than I care for). I really didn't appreciate their telling me one thing when I applied for the account opening but keeping me on the phone for 22 minutes last Friday before telling me they were closing the account (they could have told me by e-mail and saved me the trouble and expense of going to Chiang Mai and calling them).

Banks are universally shit. They hold OUR money, whilst using it for their investments. They are incredibly powerful institutions, especially in the UK, where they seemingly do what they please. I've had a few run ins with them, but you always come off worse. I've even lodged formal complaints, with the ombudsman, but the only real course of action in the UK is to take them to court. Nothing ever happens with complaining, despite my being in the right and my bank breaching their own code of practise.

Domicile.

In these situations, if one claims your domicile in home country, then that should be used when dealing with these banks.

I just got hold of my credit report as I purchased a new vehicle. I was amazed at all the stuff listed there.

Archived