December 15 & 16 Bar closing

Lord Toad

This is very frustrating news for what used to be the best month of the year in Thailand. There will likely be another closure cluster near christmas. So last year they banned girls wearing sexy beer uniforms, banned the multitude of outdoor beer gardens, and cancelled the special annual all night christmas & new years activities. And of course before that we have been given rules what time of day we can buy alcohol and what time we cannot. Here is my vote for Bangkok's slogan: "the city where mom watches over your shoulder to make sure you are behaving."

Well it's not all doom and gloom. One thing about closings is earlier in the year, there was at least one case where it was reported on this board the bars would be closed, but they were not. And soi cowboy / closing times are making a comeback.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from a mail out by a bar that is normally open (somewhere) when all else is closed

We (and all other bar and restaurant owners) have an official Police letter stating (bars) will be closed from 14-16 inclusive and restaurants can open but no booze...if caught 6 months jail for owner and 6 months for anyone caught drinking...well we all know this in Thailand and bars will open etc but this time it may be a bit tricky.........

Also remember it is also illegal (and the same laws apply) to hold a private party even if if is without booze. Give away booze and it is seriously illegal. An election or two ago a private party held by a group of farangs in private property (no where near a bar) was busted and they were all threatened with jail.

It looks like there is a very serious attitude to this one. It is very unusual to get such long notice to a bar closing. I would tread very carefully.

Me I have booked to Angeles. I am now going a week early. If Thailand does not want my money somebody else may as well get it!

None of the bars in Pattaya seem to have heard anything about this - so maybe it's just a Bangkok thing. After all, if the authorities are expecting protests (or another coup if the PPP win), it would be BKK where all the action takes place.

Can someone put a cork in the mouth of this rumour monger please ?

Look, this year, for the first time ever, Thais do not have to travel back to their home province to vote. Their voting day is 22nd December.

As for the police or anyone else telling bar owners 10 days in advance of anything is just fucking unbelievable. Why ? because I've been in the game years and we don't even know what we'll be closed for the election. IN 2005 it was 2 days but this time I suspect only 1 day.

Well my boss (Doo Dokraedone, comedian) has told me that on the 15h and 16th everything will be closed in Bangkok ......

Which is why our comedyteam will play at private parties in Suphanburi and Nakhon Nayok and some other places :shifty:

We will play December 31st at Pattaya at the Bali Hai Pier New Years countdown at approx 22.00. So there will definately be parties somewhere at new years!

Waerth

Archived