December 15 & 16 Bar closing

Lord Toad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony is it wont stop the vote buying and rampant corruption surely to be a part of this democratic fiasco...it's just the junta exerting pressure as they can...paternalism gone mad! I guess if i was Thai i'd be pretty annoyed my 'government' has decided for me that i'm not able to be responsible enough to decide my own actions....but i'm not so what do i know...seems they take this extremely authoritative behaviour rather well.

Patpong is open and serving alcohol both Friday and Saturday. I suspect that Sukhumvit area will start serving alcohol openly - because it is available now if you look hard enough - from 6pm tomorrow evening ( or within an hour or so of 6pm to give time for the all clear to come from up high).

Latest news on next weekend...from Tops Supermarket of all places.

No alcohol sales from Saturday night (starting at 6 p.m. 22 December) until midnight on Sunday (23 December). Assuming they got it right - and there does seem to be mass confusion about this (it wouldn't be Thailand if any of this was clear or made sense) - things should be normal on Friday, quiet on Saturday and Sunday, and then return to normal on Monday, Christmas Eve.

If anyone knows differently, please post. My source is a sign in the wine section of supermarket.

The irony is it wont stop the vote buying

Of course not. If anything, it will encourage vote buying. If alcohol really was harder to acquire on these days in venues for Thai voters who desire a drink, it would make alcohol more valuable, and thus a more effective bribe.

But fear not, in the several Thai only venues I visited last night, alcohol was easily available. It was mostly in the Farang oriented venues - where virtually none of the customers will be voting in the upcoming elections - that this crackdown was taken seriously.

As usual, it's all a farce.

well cowboy was serving alcohol sunday early. police came. not til midnight.

I personally had a great weekend in patpong/suriwong. booze everywhere, cops directing the traffic just meters away.

what a farce!!

Yes, I can confirm that, a number of my students work on Patpong/Taniya, and everything was pretty much wide open. However, they tell me, that will NOT be the case this coming weekend: they all have Saturday night off, nobody's getting away with opening on the 22nd.

preahko

Archived