How to cook a lump of roast beef?

Lusty

Best to avoid the oven if you think the beef might be a bit tough.

Get a big pot with a lid and brown the beef up in some olive oil of what ever other greasy stuff you can find. Keep turning so it doesn't stick.

Chop up three of four onions, some carrots, tomatoes if you want and let them brown a bit. Once again stir to prevent sticking.

As things heat up, add a little water and put the lid on. Keep an eye on it, adding a bit more water if it starts to stick to the pan.

Salt, pepper, bay leaf, garlic et al can be added now.

Depending on the size and age of the beef about three hours should do the trick on low heat.

Serve with mashed spuds and cabbage.

A nice cabbage dish is to chop a bit of bacon and onion, fry a little in butter then add thinly sliced cabbage and stir till it softens.

I did this for the first time recently, was left in Bangers while wife went working up North, so maid and children and dad first went to Gullivers, then to the supermarket where I bought my first ever roast!

I called my mm of course, who told me to heat the oven to about 300 something or medium high, cover it and veggies (I say potatoe, pumpkin, carrots and onion) with olive oil.

I generously dusted the roast with a 4 in 1 Italian herbs, and cooked for a hour and half, my own addition.

Turn veggies a few times.

Was fantastic!

Plenty of cattle in the north. Far more than buff these days.

You can go into a lot of markets and wholesalers and point out the cut you want while it's still quivering on the killing floor.

Sure some of it's tough because of the type of cows that suit this climate which the reason that pot roasting is the way to go rather than risking an oven roast.

I can assure you that that beef could have been sliced with a fork.

Archived