re-entry permit on a 90-day visa?

cardinalblue

RD13,

I am hoping you are correct that we can receive a re-entry permit (whether single or multiple) on a single entry 90-day visa...

CTO,

I think RD13 was responding to your remark that your Mum had a multiple entry visa so she didn't need a re-entry stamp because she left often. That sounds like a waste of visa money if she left before using her whole visa (90 days) each and every time. Better to get a re-entry permit and keep that visa stamp alive since you paid for it. It doesn't effect the second or third entry visa as long as you enter the country before the expiration date posted when you received you multi-entry visa. The use of a re-entry permit keeps one's visa alive and gives you flexibilty to leave and re-enter the country even though it doesn't extend one's running clock stay at all meaning the 90 days limit...

Thanks all,

CB

Maybe I'm being a bit thick here? :smirk: But if one wishes to get a Non Imm O visa and leave and re-enter Thailand a number of times would'nt make a lot more sense to get a multiple entry visa in the 1st place. That would last a year and you can leave and enter as many times as you wish and get a fresh 90 days every time you re-enter Thailand. Rather than just getting a single entry 90 day one and then having to faff about going to immigration and paying for the multiple re-entry permit which would still only give you 90 days in total?

Simie.

Exactly my point, I have to buy each year a multiple re-entry permit, for my ONE year visedid it again a few months back,

Qestion is do you need to do same with a 90 day visa? My mum didn't a few weeks ago . . . .

CTO, Iâ??m not entirely sure I understand your question but here goes anyway.

It sounds like you've received an extension of your original Non-Immigrant visa and therefore if you want to leave and return to Thailand during its one year validity you have to obtain a re-entry permit (or a multiple re-entry permit if you're going to go in and out more that once).

In Mum's case she had a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa usable for a period of one year, but she can only stay for a maximum of 90 days and she then has to leave Thailand â?? just hop over to the border and return - and she gets a fresh 90 days. And with a multiple entry visa she can also leave at anytime during any of the 90 day periods and when she returns to Thailand she gets a new period of 90 days before sheâ??s required to do a hop to the border again.

With a single entry Non-Immigrant visa Mum only gets to enter Thailand and stay for a maximum period of 90 days. If she leaves Thailand she canâ??t re-enter without obtaining a new visa or entering on a 30 day entry stamp. However the Immigration rules applying to entry allow her to buy either a single re-entry permit or a multiple re-entry permit, so that for example, she can go to Singapore once or multiple times during the 90 day period that her single entry Non-Immigrant visa allows.

Sorry about being so long winded.

-redwood

Maybe I'm being a bit thick here? :smirk: But if one wishes to get a Non Imm O visa and leave and re-enter Thailand a number of times would'nt make a lot more sense to get a multiple entry visa in the 1st place. That would last a year and you can leave and enter as many times as you wish and get a fresh 90 days every time you re-enter Thailand. Rather than just getting a single entry 90 day one and then having to faff about going to immigration and paying for the multiple re-entry permit which would still only give you 90 days in total?

Simie.

Yes, that's the thing to do!

And, if you're in UK, then you'll very likely get one at Hull or Cardiff.

But, it's difficult to get even a single entry NI visa in some countries; a multiple entry visa is even more difficult. If I were in the US I'd be on the phone shopping honorary consulates to find one. I'm thinking mainly of getting one on the pretext of "visiting friends, for extensive travel etc." and not for those who have appropriate documentation. But even then, consulates have become stricter and unlike in the past, will only give a single entry and tell the applicant to get an extension in Thailand.

Or, if you're in Thailand on a single entry, plans change and you suddenly need to leave/re-enter and still retain your NI visa a re-entry visa might be just the thing.

-redwood

Redwood, as you say I believe Thai consulates etc in Asia seem to mainly only give single entry visas. I used to get my multiple entry Non Imm O at the Thai embassy in London. But I met the criteria and had all the required paperwork. As you say somewhere like Hull or Cardiff is a bit easier than the Embassy if you hav'nt all the paper work?

Simie.

Archived