Australian accents.

whcouncill

some educated Ozzies still have the old posh speech which sounds similar to RP.

Give Bust a call sometime and listen to his accent... dead-seat posh it is!

(Unusual since he comes from the "wrong side of the Harbour Bridge" and isn't what you'd call overly educated!!) :grin:

:cover:

Now Dumsoda and me.. we're *REAL* Aussie blokes, and sound like it! :thumbup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxbridge English is acquired in school, which is why it is called RP (received pronunciation). I have a friend from Newcastle who speaks RP. Used to know a Scot and a Yorkie who did too - from their school days, not from home.

p.s. Are there noticeably different accents in Sweden?

Sure, guys from Stockholm, north Sweden or Gotland will hardly understand my dialect which is half-danish but actually very close to norwegian - I don't have any problem to understand or for those to understand me even up in Tromsoe (look at the map), same parts of Sweden would not understand 10 % of what I say even if I try to speak some sort of standard swedish.

Actually one of my swedish professors at high school told us that they can identify what area of a city you live in or which subculture you belong to just from the words you use. :)

<< also i cannot tell the difference between people from Canada and the Northern States of the US. >>

Some Canucks can be spotted immediately by their "ou" sound, but not all of them have it that noticeably. Eastern Canucks say "eh" at the end of almost every sentence, but I haven't heard it in the west. Also, the Newfies have an odd sounding speech. But they weren't even part of Canada before 1948 (I think).

Only differences I've noticed in Australia are between the urban and rural accents, though some educated Ozzies still have the old posh speech which sounds similar to RP.

What is an Ozzie..? :neener:

Archived