How do you all pack when you are going from cold to warm climates?

whcouncill

A friend of mine recently arrived in Boston from Los Angeles wearing shorts and an aloha shirt. Since it was a private plane, he had to disembark on to the tarmac in freezing weather as the greeting party asked, "WTF were you thinking?"

If home is the cold place it shouldn't be an issue; travel in the cold weather clothing and pack for the warm weather. If you must, leave the warm weather clothes in a bag with your itinerary on it in the overhead bin on arrival and pick it up from the airline on departure (50/50 odds here).

If the trip to/from your outward/inward airport requires cross-country gear or something, then check it at the left luggage desk if the airport has one. Same applies if you are stopping over in the same cold weather place in both directions.

As mentioned, you really don't need to pack much for a holiday in Thailand. I returned from my last trip with 4 Dollhouse t-shirts because I kept extending my trip by one night and I had no fresh clothes (yeah, I know what you're thinking, I probably smelled bad too and, after a few nights of not getting the hint, they stopped giving me shirts and suggested I make my flight).

And, as for wearing t-shirts and looking like a bloody tourist, I got over that a long time ago. I am what I am. :drunk::p

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're interested in meeting and befriending locals in the Lower Sukhumvit area of Bangkok, particularly females, simply remembering to pack a full wallet and a variety of active internationally-accepted ATM/debit/credit cards is essential. :clown:

All else will fall into place once you've arrived. :drunk:

jack :help:

Living in the Middle East which is warm/hot (although quite chilly in the mornings and evenings at this time of year) I either travel to other warm countries, e.g., Thailand or depending on time of year cool/cold countries, e.g., Scotland. If travelling to either Thailand or Scotland I pack exactly the same clothes as I wear in the ME but in the case of Scotland add a waterproof jacket.

Munchie, I'll second that about the waterproof coat for travel to Scotland! :) One of the foggiest, wettest and most miserable (weather wise) afternoons I've every spent was'nt a a winter one in England but an august afternoon in Glen Coe! :smirk:

Simie.

I don't even own a jumper and when back in the UK a waterproof lined jacket is all I wear over a shirt. Having spent the last 20 years in warm climates I don't actually like wearing more than one layer of clothing. Also when I'm home I tend to walk everywhere and even on a cold day I get uncomfortably hot with just shirt and jacket.

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago I went home to help my Mum move into her new apartment and spent a few days working on it, painting, putting up shelves, unpacking all her things, etc. It was in January I think and everyday I just wore shorts and a tee shirt and most days I went up town in the late afternoon for a break and to have a couple of pints. The looks I got wandering around Edinburgh city centre in my shorts and tee shirt while everyone else was wearing their winter woolies were quite comical.

Thank you Teddy, why am I not surprised at your response? :rolleyes:

However I have often heard people talking about me when walking around London or Edinburgh with the conversation usually going something like this;

1st Person: Look, there's Robbie Coltrane.

2nd Person: Are you sure?

1st Person: If it's not him then it must be his double.

2nd Person: But Robbies a lot fatter than that guy.

1st Person: Aye, you're right there.

2nd Person: And that guy's much younger looking than Robbie.

1st Person: And much more handsome.

2nd Person: Obviously not Robbie then.

Thank you Teddy, why am I not surprised at your response? :rolleyes:

However I have often heard people talking about me when walking around London or Edinburgh with the conversation usually going something like this;

1st Person: Look, there's Robbie Coltrane.

2nd Person: Are you sure?

1st Person: If it's not him then it must be his double.

2nd Person: But Robbies a lot fatter than that guy.

1st Person: Aye, you're right there.

2nd Person: And that guy's much younger looking than Robbie.

1st Person: And much more handsome.

2nd Person: Obviously not Robbie then.

You hear voices now Munchie :yikes::yikes::yikes:

For fuck's sake, don't listen to them when they ask you to do something nasty :nono:

The looks I got wandering around Edinburgh city centre in my shorts and tee shirt while everyone else was wearing their winter woolies were quite comical.

In Edinburgh? Last time I was in Edinburgh â?? November, f*cking freezing, horizontal razor-blade winds etc. :( â?? staggering up Leith Walk at about 3AM saturday night/sunday morning :drunk: just about every young bloke that lurched menacingly past me, smoking a fag, swigging from a bottle and doing the Liam Gallagher swagger-roll, was f*cking topless, shirt off and tied round the waist. :o You'd have fitted in nicely, mate. Especially if you've got loads of tattoos and are missing a front tooth, speak only in swearwords, and are wanting a fight with a "Jambo". :doah:

jack :help:

Archived