American English teacher extradited on child molestation charges

Fidel

PHUKET (Gazette, Nation, Kom Chad Luek): A man wanted for child molestation by police in the US state of Missouri was arrested Tuesday afternoon and has been turned over to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for extradition.

During questioning, the suspect, Earl Russel Bonds, tried to kill himself by cutting his left wrist with scissors, but police seized the scissors from him in time.

Bonds, 42, was handed to FBI agents at Phuket International Airport last night and flown to Bangkok to await an extradition order to the US.

Bonds was with his Thai boyfriend when officers from the Phuket Tourist Police and Phuket Immigration Police arrested him at a rented house on Soi Yanui in Rawai about 2 pm on Tuesday.

Police said Bonds entered Thailand August 30 last year and worked as an English teacher, then later as a freelance columnist for an overseas publication.

Read on

I never got around to looking at the winning entry but I must admit the choice of this story has left me little short of stunned.

I don't doubt the guy writes well but there's virtually no connection to Thailand in the plot and the selection of a story based on child abuse makes me wonder how much Mom Tri's champagne the judge was sampling at the time.

exactly - how could it win, maybe they thought it was very "Arty"??? Other entries could have been crap?

However, remember we're now reading it knowing what he did, reading it without knowing what he did it seems a sensitive story - I still think it's a pretty morbid story for a writing contest to promote tourism~

Chuckwoww's was crap but mine was very arty. :neener:

Seriously there were a few of us from ThailandStories.com who entered and found the required format of using certain keywords.. ie Mom Tri's, champagne etc a bother and I assumed that they would be looking for something family orientated. That's my excuse for not winning anyway.

Archived