The Wire

Steve

A friend got me into the wire last fall. In preparation for the final season, HBO was playing the first four seasons on-demand...1 season per month from September thru December. Of course, he got me into it near the end of October. I watched a couple of the season 2 episodes, and then season 3...and then went back and got seasons 1 + 2 on DVD. I'm completely hooked. The sad part is, I'm not sure how far from the truth the story line is!

As the fifth and final season started, alot of the stories in the media were really praising it. The sad part is not too many people watch it (most people I tried to talk to about the show after I got into it had never heard of it). It never got the publicity of the sopranos...

The creators was a cop and a journalist, the former a cop investigating and the latter wrote about a Baltimore heroin kingpin named Melvin Williams. After his jail stint, Williams was given a recurring role on the series.

The creators took a lot of pains to get to know Baltimore street slang and culture to make it as real as possible.

Physically, the rowhouse scenes and some street scenes are eerily similar to Philly where I lived.

Archived