The Wire

Steve

I know some say The Sopranos was the best show and I certainly loved it. However, I always thought The Wire was better than it. Its the final season and I got a hold of a bootleg of the rest of the season.

For those who don't know, its based on a drug gang in Baltimore. Its one of the rare shows I know that has made a political statement and still be entertaining. Usually when shows degenerate into politicizing it gets worse. This one didn't. They tackled unions, education, the war on drugs, the police/law enforcement and now the press in the final season.

The show is loosely based on a former heroin kingpin of Baltimore named Melvin Williams. The guy had a IQ around 160, lived by the old code of never snitching and despite spells in jail, he never snitched.

The Wire is excellent but is not better or even as good as the Sopranos in my opinion. I am in the middle of season 4 at the moment.

Each new season starts off very slow and it takes to about episode 4 before you start getting into it.

There is also a spin off series called 'The Corner', which focus's more on the effects of drugs on the addicts. Very depressing but very well made.

Season 5 is the current and last season. I think The Sopranos started off better and declined. It went off the boil a few times and the ending was one of the worst. David Chase, the creator of The Sopranos, kept being dragged back to do another season (contractual obligations I think) and it was starting to show that he wasn't as interested in it any longer.

The Wire stayed consistent, multiple story lines and they developed characters a bit better than The Sopranos in my opinion. The Sopranos is an icon and the The Wire never got its just due in my opinion. The critics as well as the award shows never gave it the respect it deserves.

I loved The Sopranos and was just as addicted but I left being a bit more disappointed in some episodes.

Matter of opinion I guess.

I loved the wire up until this season. :thumbup:

Seems like they are Jumping the Shark with the homeless serial killer storyline though. :( :thumbdown:

It's so fucking improbable and far fetched that it has me wondering if its based on something that actually occurred. :dunno:

Even if it is based on an actual event, it's playing out like Luke & Laura and the Ice Princess from General Hospital :doah::help:

Oz may be the show you are referring to. Even they jumped the shark a little. All successful shows (and even the not-so-good ones) jump the shark at some point I suppose.

As for The Wire, there are actual reports of police manufacturing crime scenes.

Still hard to believe that McNulty (Dominic West) is from Sheffield, England. I heard one scene where he lost his american accent and spoke in his native, northern england accent. The guy who played Stringer Bell is also english.

Archived