Retrenched today-Advice needed

I guess it's hard times all over , especially in IT . I got the golden handshake today along with half my company & was needing some advice on what other board members would do in this situation.

The question is to start another job straight away or get my ass over to LOS for some R&R , god knows I need it!

This is my situation: I am late 20's with no commitments other than a loan I pay off $120A a fortnight , fuck all basically . No family , no g'friend, no lease . I am not a rich man & the amount I could blow in LOS including airfare would be $5000.00A , should I just get on that plane & have a good couple of weeks , or should I get a job & save some more . Note that if I get a job I may have to wait to get holidays for a while , unless I get a shit job for only a month or so .

I was planning on a trip to LOS in the unknown future of course so it is not like this is a new thought .

What would other members do in my siutuation ? Consolidate at home or just get on the wagon to Benstville LOS ASAP?????? crazy.gif" border="0

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One option must be calling you more than the other ??? and if you are only thinking of coming over for a couple of weeks then think of it as a consolidation period before you go home and knuckle back down again ? I could understand your dilemma if you were choosing between home or here for a year. In the case of a quick trip, just do it !! though I guess that it what you want to be told.

"I could blow in LOS including airfare would be $5000.00A , should I just get on that plane & have a good couple of weeks"

If you are blowing that kind of cash then your 2 weeks should be more than "good" smile.gif" border="0

Hi Zoot

Sorry to hear your bad news. My personal thinking on this is I would look for work now, get your CV out and contact agencies etc....

You should get some feedback on the situation reasonably quickly, if an offer comes up great you'll prabably have a few, 1-2 weeks slack in which you could take some time out for fun. LOS is not more important than your future. The work funds future trips. No work, no future trips.

For what it is worth, and I would definitely look before leaping, my friends who still work in Thailand are constantly complaining about the quality of their IT staff. They never, however, say how much they are paying their staff.

One friend claims that a decent firm that could properly set up networks in Thailand (sorry, I am not in the IT business, so I am not exactly sure what this means, but I know his network is constantly "down") would make a killing. I know when I worked in Thailand, our biggest problem was finding qualified professional staff. Work rule restrictions and the general feeling that employment of farangs is a zero-sum game (farang wins/Thai loses), made it very difficult to bring in qualified farangs.

The reality, of course, is that if you bring in a Farang with special skills generally not available in Thailand, it helps the economy and creates job. Unless there has been a major change in local attitudes since I left, however, most Thais don't see it that way.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: William Ginzer ]

Your right ! Most Thai's see it as the Brits viewed the Yanks in WW2. ie Over paid, oversexed and over here. Partic for those transferred from Outside of Thailand, in many cases it's true, certainly was for me. The guy that gets a job locally is a much better bet, He WANTS to be here, so he doesn't spend half of his working day moaning about how incompetant the Thai's are, how crappy the food is etc. Usually he just gets on with the job at hand and is much more produstive for it. I know who I would rather have working for me.

I am loving all this info / advice ...it is 3 hours I have been un employed now.

But fatbastard ,you're off on a tangent champ , I am not thinking of workin in LOS at the moment, though if anyone has a position vacant I would be very happy to take it , I am willing & able to work in LOS , I am an excellent worker & a grade 2 felch-meister. shocked.gif" border="0

I'm in IT in Sydney, with one of the world's most successful companies.

Everybody is downsizing or rightsizing or not replacing the departed staff, including us.

Job agencies are calling me (unsolicited) 5-6 times a week offering their candidates for the positions I haven't got. It's really tough out there. Some agencies have shutdown their branches.

My advice: try to get a job first, if successful, set the starting date for 3-4 weeks later and go to BKK then.

I am loving all this info / advice ...it is 3 hours I have been un employed now.

But fatbastard ,you're off on a tangent champ , I am not thinking of workin in LOS at the moment, though if anyone has a position vacant I would be very happy to take it , I am willing & able to work in LOS , I am an excellent worker & a grade 2 felch-meister. shocked.gif" border="0

Archived