Retrenched today-Advice needed

Zoot,

Sorry to hear the news, dude.

You and your friends will be back, big-time, before too long. Hang in there. This happens to just about everyone, at least once in a career. Entreprenuers hit the skids at an even higher rate--you know, the guys who now appear rich and successful? Well, those guys were begging their parents for gas money earlier in their endeavors, during downswings.

Anyway, much of job hunting has to do with electronic research, and resume / cover letter writing. You can do those things in LOS almost as easily as in Oz. So, that is a vote for coming.

But, be very careful. Lack of a job can cause a person to try to fill the void by other means. And, there are very few places in the world offering addictions to fill that void, more so than Thailand. Stickman wrote a good piece on his site about the pull of that downward spiral. Nick Nostitz's good book about Patpong (really about Sukhumivit, just as much) tells an even more radical story.

If it were me, I'd probably go. In fact, I have an employment contract that will pay me a certain amount if I get laid off. I've already done some calculations/planning, with regards to how long I could and would make that money last in LOS, should I get laid off. I probably also would try to stretch that money by teaching or "consulting."

Enjoy. You've earned this short opportunity for freedom in your life. It may never come again, and you surely will look back at the period with great fondness. Just be sure to keep your head straight! cool.gif" border="0

By the way, you can get a really kick-ass and clean meal in an attractive ( wink.gif" border="0 ) atmosphere for THB30 at the food court on top of MBK Shopping Mall near Siam Square. laugh.gif" border="0

(PS--Keep your Nanaplaza buddies updated on how your adventure is coming along!)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoot,

Find a new job first. But tell your prospective employers, in the salary, etc. negotiation phase that you have already planned a 1 (or 2) week vacation for such and such a date. This way you also get the satisfaction of knowing you've got something to return to instead of having to start with nothing. A friend of mine, also in IT, did just this last December.

Have your cake and eat it too.

If this doesn't work, just go. Life it too short not to live it to the fullest when you get the opportunity.

Vtombrown I need to let you know that I really love your posts , please take this in the best way . I love how you are grossed out by the felching stuff , you are the good witch of NanaPlaza in my book ....keep up the good work.Though I guess at the moment , me being jobless it is not a good idea to sell myself as a felch-meister , unless of course I am going for a job in a felch-orium!

And again thanx for all the advice everyone , I really find it helpfull , I just went & picked up my "see ya later check" & I am looking forward to doing something sanuk with it....but where?

Look at it this way. You've got time on your hands all of sudden. Airline prices are dropping all around you. The job situation is not going to get any better two weeks from now. Even if you nail a job, your new employers will look askance at you for asking for sanuk time right off the bat. I say, get your ass on a LOS-bound plane...

Hi Zoot,

Sorry to here about you bad news. About a year ago I was in a similar position. What I did was get my CV bang up to date, spend a good 2 days on it, possibly make 3 or 4 cvs to appeal to a different sorts of job.

E mail your CV out to a few good agencies, take advice from friends you trust on this, as there are a lot of shit out there.

E mail your cv out to some firms you are maybe interested in telling them that you will be available in 6 weeks and get out to LOS.

You can even set aside an hour or so in LOS to apply for jobs.

laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by zoot:

I guess it's hard times all over , especially in IT . I got the golden handshake today along with half my company & was needing some advice on what other board members would do in this situation.

The question is to start another job straight away or get my ass over to LOS for some R&R , god knows I need it!

This is my situation: I am late 20's with no commitments other than a loan I pay off $120A a fortnight , fuck all basically . No family , no g'friend, no lease . I am not a rich man & the amount I could blow in LOS including airfare would be $5000.00A , should I just get on that plane & have a good couple of weeks , or should I get a job & save some more . Note that if I get a job I may have to wait to get holidays for a while , unless I get a shit job for only a month or so .

I was planning on a trip to LOS in the unknown future of course so it is not like this is a new thought .

What would other members do in my siutuation ? Consolidate at home or just get on the wagon to Benstville LOS ASAP??????
crazy.gif" border="0

What would you REALLY like to do? Ask yourself, then do it. One way or another and SEXY EYES summed it up: you're young, so you will still go to LOS, and you will still have to find a situation. i may seem blunt, but everyone is different, and I sense your psychological situation is: more worried than looking forward a sabbatical.

Zoot

I found myself in your situation three months ago, no job, no real committments with a big redundancy cheque in the pocket.

Went to Los for six weeks had a great time, if your good enough and confident the next job will come along when you get back.

Chris

Archived