Surprising Compatibility between Computer Systems

gawguy

I was very surprised...

I salvaged a 30gb HD from a Compaq Armada that I am abandoning. I stripped off the unique drive caddy and put it into an old IBM Thinkpad. The OS Win2000.

It started right up in the Thinkpad !! Just the normal "Found New Hardware" msgs and followed by a restart. I was expecting to have to wipe the disk and start from scratch.

I installed a fresh image of an XP system I have saved, and voila! Perfection.

Sometimes systems will not start when a drive is taken from one model of Thinkpad and put into a different model, so it really surprised me that a system that was set up for a Compaq started in an IBM.

so it really surprised me that a system that was set up for a Compaq started in an IBM.

It surprises me that you got a Compaq to work at all. :neener:

Yes My Friend - It was a good horse for a long time, but after many years it has gone lame. That's why I am in the process of putting it out to pasture. All my other horses are some breed of Thinkpad.

Thanks for your input Cowboy.

Gaw Guy

Please define what is wrong with a Compaq, after all it is only a stripped down HP.

This might be true today after Compaq was purchased by HP but was not in the beginning of Compaq which at one time made better computers than the original IBMs.

After 30 years in technical software engineering I can assure you that the worst situation one can encounter is working with a brand name computer from a company that is big enough to implement their own non standard solutions. Did you know that Compaq had a licence from Micro$haft to alter Windoze to suit their hardware. This might be great for people who will never use anything but office programs but is shit for us who need to to actually need to harness the power in todays computers.

Archived