What Barry Bonds told the Grand Jury

Flashermac

Gotta love professional athletes!

:rolleyes:

FEBRUARY 29--A federal judge today ordered the unsealing of the transcript of Barry Bonds's December 2003 testimony before a San Francisco grand jury, an appearance that resulted in the baseball star's indictment last year on perjury and obstruction of justice charges.

While the entire Bonds transcript is worth a read, we particularly enjoyed his answer to a question posed by one juror about Greg Anderson, the athlete's beleaguered friend and trainer. "With all the money you make, have you ever thought of maybe building him a mansion or something?"

Bonds replied, "One, I'm black. And I'm keeping my money. And there's not too many rich black people in this world. And I'm keeping my money. There's more wealthy Asian people and Caucasian and white. There ain't that many rich black people. And I ain't giving my money up. That's why."

What's Two

Bonds. Great player. In fact, a fantastic player (with or without the juice) but always has been an asshole.

However, Congress needs to stay out of this. I can't believe there are not more pressing issues before our highest legislative body than whether or not baseball players are taking steroids. Its the biggest waste of bullshit and time since they started bringing in celebs to talk before them for any number of useless drivel or 'fact finding' missions to Fiji, Jamaica or any number of tropical locales.

That said, baseball, and by that I mean the owners and the commissioners office, made a lot of money off the juiced players. McGwire and Sosa in that homerun derby of theirs made great television and a lot of money for the league. People like me who rarely watch baseball except for the world series tuned in. They knew those players were taking steroids but didn't do a thing. Baseball shoots iteself in the foot every few decades (black sox scandal; keeping out black palyers, players that gamble like Pete Rose, steroids). Let baseball sort itself out.

Archived