Land of Fleecing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Follies,right on post man,too much talk about airport taxis allways on this board. 300 baht seems ok with me too and I love the racing drivers at the wheel! Would love to know of other fleecing areas to watch out for though,as I am sometimes otherwise preoccupied mentally.I also have had dealings with the coloured coated guys at the airport and found them quite helpfull.All -The - Best.-AUSSIEJOHN.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

Been taking taxis from the airport everyday for the last five years. I can count the problems I've had on one hand.

Cheers

Damn...How many fingers do you have on 1 hand!!??

When I first started visiting LOS I got taken advantage of a few times-but often it was partly my fault-being wasted, using thai when I should have used english-they jabber back with smiles of course we understand each other right??? Overall, though, I have been much more often raked over the coals here in Hawaii, and I have lived here 28 years!!!!! I can't stand it when I hear a farang haggling over 20 baht on a 300 baht purchase or taxi ride (btw, if the meter ain't going on get into another cab!!!) Also, like an occassional treat, instead of bus to Pattaya, try the limo-great ride, fast, smooth,sometimes I go straight from airport-best time so far is 1hour, 45 minutes!!!!!

Chok Dee shocked.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by traveldog:

When I first started visiting LOS I got taken advantage of a few times-but often it was partly my fault-being wasted, using thai when I should have used english-they jabber back with smiles of course we understand each other right??? Overall, though, I have been much more often raked over the coals here in Hawaii, and I have lived here 28 years!!!!! I can't stand it when I hear a farang haggling over 20 baht on a 300 baht purchase or taxi ride (btw, if the meter ain't going on get into another cab!!!) Also, like an occassional treat, instead of bus to Pattaya, try the limo-great ride, fast, smooth,sometimes I go straight from airport-best time so far is 1hour, 45 minutes!!!!!

Chok Dee
shocked.gif" border="0

Right on , Travel Dog. The worse fleecing place i've ever been to was Italy, there i had to count my change almost every transaction. Thailand would be at the bottom of my list for fleecing. never had a problem with taxis (not like in NY!), either... Haggling over price is not fleecing.

Of course they try to argue about whether the price included tax at the other end, to which the only response is to give him the 200 (better have the right money) and quietly leave the cab. frown.gif" border="0

aypenarin,

I've read some post on this board that floored me, this one took the cake ! Read the signs, it's says 50 bht surcharge right there. And begruging a guy that drives 12 hrs a day of 50 bht ? Get a clue frown.gif" border="0

This is a matter of principles.

Basically, I never give away on somebody trying to charge me farang rates whether it is for taxis, hotels, food or whatever. Even 10 Bath, I would haggling on the price and the only time that I have give away was on a trip in Indonesia, that the taxi driver open his jacket and show me his shinny brother (revolver) shocked.gif" border="0 and ask me if I wish to argue further. Okay, in this case he could stick the few extra rupiah up to his ass.

I've spent over a year now cumulative in LOS. I've only had two problems with a taxis, but never at the airport. 4 years ago one had a rigged meter, which I quickly realized, having racked up 60B after about 1km. Just told him to stop, paid him 60B, and got another. Another, out with some backbacker types late one night, the driver refused to turn on the meter and wanted too much. We just got out and got another.

I got shortchanged once. Realized about an hour after I ate at a foodcourt I'd been given change for a 500 instead of the 1000 I get her. Yep, I think you have to be more careful about counting your change in LOS, but I don't think it's a serious problem, and could have just been a mistake.

Paid too much with vendors several times. But, I chalk that up to poor bargaining skills, and not knowing what stuff is really worth. Don't have that problem much any more. For a while I was pretty ruthless, but I've lightened up quite a bit. I'm actually suprized that I've met many Thais with worse bargaining skills than me.

I've also had vendors return money when I've accidentally overpaid them. And my Thai travel agent a few weeks ago did not sell me a plane ticket, explaining I'd get a better price if I bought later. Honest people are more the norm.

There are a few traps to avoid, the are some places with outright different prices for Thais and foreigners, and if you want to pay too much, the thais will often gratiously accept. But I've never felt I had to be constantly on guard agains being fleeced.

Archived