Land of Fleecing

The only times that I was had by a taxi when I first arrived in Bangkok got one of the inside taxis from one of the touts. But you learn by your mistakes. The only other time I had trouble was one night on my way to sukhumvit from patpong I was quoted 500baht all's I did was walk down the road and get another saying this you can hardly blame the poor taxi drivers it must be one of the worst jobs going.

francis

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: francie34 ]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not the amount of the money, I don't really mind dropping a few dollars where its well earned, but I refuse to let anyone try to pull one over me. I just want them to realise that there is at least one farang on the streets watching their tricks, and counting their change.

Sometimes, in the bar, I have to wonder if I've got 'Schmuck' or 'Moneybags' written on my forhead. The thing that really gets me is that your spending good money in there, there's a fair bit of profit on a 90baht Heineken. Plus, I don't just have the one, I'll have at least three or four, and if I'm impressed I'll stay for a dozen. I'm always prepared to buy the odd bargirl a beer or two, but why do they get the impression I'm buying for the whole bar. I suppose its worth a try on their side, but I consider it highly unreasonable.

However, there is nothing worse than the guy that just hangs around the bar, not driking, not spending any baht, and just perving on the girls. I suppose he's entitled to do that.

I often enjoy feeding a greedy mamasan a skinfull. You have to make them work for the first one, tell them no when they ask, and then just order her one when you're ordering next. They love it when you just rip it out of the blue. They usually suck that first one down and ask for another. And another. In fact, as long as you're still buying them, she's still drinking them. I've had one put them down so hard and fast that she eventually passed out.

But I'm telling you boys, check the check bin. It looks a bit tight, but I can tell you its well worth at least having a look. You can find some interesting stuff in there. You can tell by the expression on their face as you commence your perusal whether or not you've been fleeced.

The point is, I don't mind parting with a Baht if its well-earned, in fact I enjoy it immenseley. Its just when the transaction is shady, when they treat you like some sort of idiot, tell blatant lies for baht.

Has anyone seen the guy that hangs around Nana Plaza with pitures of Thais with their legs burnt off. Something about the war with Burma. He'll show you a very impressing looking ID which is a complete fake. He seems very sincere - and I tell you what, he's making a few baht. I've seen guys in there throwing purples around on this guy. The bar girls won't let on, when I ask why they say 'Up to customer.' I would be happy to put this guy out of business through this board if possible - so tell your mates.

They say a fool and his money are easily parted. There is many a Thai who has taken this doctrine to heart, and in fact make a livlihood from it. There's one born every minute, and there's one walking down Sukhumvit every minute as well.

Hi Ultra violet,

Those cab drivers have spent 3 years training to be a cab driver. Also they may have spent45 minutes waiting at the airport, then they have to drive back. So all in all £45 for 2 hours work seems pretty poor, especially when you consider lunch will cost them £8.

Its all relative. When you pay a cabby in Bangkok say 150 baht for a 35 minute drive. Thats an agricultural labourers wages for the day.

The equivalent in the UK would be about £70

Ultraviolet you have to appreciate its all relative.

The world over I have calculated to get a girl to spend the night with you and fuck you always amounts to a weeks wages in local terms. Do the sums yourself.

Its called Fabers model and it is used in an official context by government agencies and NGO's

quote:

Originally posted by aypenarin:

Its not the amount of the money, I don't really mind dropping a few dollars where its well earned, but I refuse to let anyone try to pull one over me. I just want them to realise that there is at least one farang on the streets watching their tricks, and counting their change.

Sometimes, in the bar, I have to wonder if I've got 'Schmuck' or 'Moneybags' written on my forhead.... .

Your signature says you're from Lamai. No wonder they constantly treat you like a tourist. I tell you a secret: here too,in SF, we cheat tourists and drunks. wake up to the wonderful world of traveling and leave the thais alone wirh your sarcasms. Save Switzerland and Singapore, you could replace the country in your post with any other on the planet. it will still be plausible... Except in Caracas or Rio red light districts, they may think your cash is worth killing you. Stoip whining and enjoy LOS,at least they don't stick you with a gun and line your pockets over there!

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote:

Originally posted by OBLEDUT:

Big problems you guys have with taxi,take the airport bus, fast cheap & a/c
laugh.gif" border="0

100% with Obledut. Mr. Fight-for-your-future-fight-for-your-baht takes the bus everytime. 100 baht and stops anywhere along Sukhumvit. I consider taxis Princely. If you have to travel like a Prince, pay like a Prince.

On the whole subject of money in Thailand I have said before: I stay many months each year. I love the challenge of bargaining. I never obsess on having to get what I want. Great things happen when I shake my head and start to walk away. It is really fun to go toe-to-toe with the Thais! If you throw vast sums at them they are happy to catch it. If you strike a deal here and they stick to it. Usually everybody is happy!

Zane May

Ah yes, the vocal minority strikes again. At the risk of being flamed, it never ceases to amaze me how many Bkk veterans/expats will give advice that causes newbies to spend more money than is really necessary.

I guess there are too many of you lucky guys out there who have money to burn and don't really care too much if you are being fleeced or not. Does not matter if it is a bargirl, hotel, taxi, junky trinket from a Sukhumvit vendor, whatever.

Why spend the extra 50baht getting a taxi from the stand at arrivals when you can get a taxi one floor up at departures for the same price less the 50baht taxi stand fee.

Please, let's not get into it over how small the sum of 50baht is. This thread is about being fleeced for more money than is necessary. To many Thai's, 50baht is a large sum of money.

quote:

Originally posted by OBLEDUT:

Big problems you guys have with taxi,take the airport bus, fast cheap & a/c
laugh.gif" border="0

Cheap? Yes 100 baht.

A/C? ok

Fast? Not really, every 20 minutes, does terminal 1, then 2, then domestic, paper work by driver, then goes fast. Well if the wait after a 15 to 20 hours trip is worth 200 baht, ok.

Same same for direct ride to Pattaya (Bus or taxi/ limo) Then it gets time versus 1000 baht . fleecing???.

A few years ago I was in Athens Greece, we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel downtown. I had read a book that said it should cost between 1000-2000. The meter somehow managed to make it up to 80000 by the time we got to the hotel. I paid 2000 and told the guy he shouldn't cheat tourists.

I stayed at the Rembrandt hotel one time. I took the taxi to the convention hall. All I had was 100 baht bills or higher. The driver said he didn't have change, this is where I expected him to take the 100 for a 50 baht fare, but no! He told me to pay him later. Later that afternoon I saw him in front of the hotel and paid the fare.

Only once leaving to the airport did a driver not immideatly use the meter, but he through it on quickly after I requested it.

Lastly, over in Pin Klao where I usually stay the taxi drivers never fuck with you, but once you cross the river and get back to the tourist area, its a whole different story. And my favorite rides are those where the driver speaks no english at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

100% with Obledut. Mr. Fight-for-your-future-fight-for-your-baht takes the bus everytime. 100 baht and stops anywhere along Sukhumvit. I consider taxis Princely. If you have to travel like a Prince, pay like a Prince.

Zane May

If your plane arrives at midnight (from USA) then you are going to have a long wait for that bus to save 100 Baht.

Hi,

Perhaps I'm just a pauper to all the princes out there but the local buses (red and creme variety), numbers 59 and 29, work pretty good for me (this is assuming you're not too over-burdened with luggage. Mind you though, at night you will find them reasonably empty and hassle free - also worth noting is that these two buses run the night-time service, meaning they run around the clock. But please do be aware of the inscrutable price hike of 1.5 baht after 11pm!)

You can board these buses right out the front (parallel to the taxi stand) on the main road there. No. 29 will take you down Payathai road all the way to M.B.K and beyond. No.59 will take you down the same path to the Victory Monument, make a turn and then head out to the Democracy monument (convenient for all those staying at Khao San rd.)

Alternatively, and during traffic you can disembark either of these buses anywhere on the Morchit Sky-Train line for speedier arrival at your sweetheart's doorstep. Thank you. This has been a public community service announcement proudly brought to you by BMTA - Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, where we can help you fight for your Baht!

Seriously though folks, for bus times, routes and pricings this site is pretty good. Check it out.

note: Zone 1 caters to the Don Meuang area.

Cheers and happy commuting,

Dan

Archived