WW2 Wrecks Found.

Julian2

HMAS Sydney wreck found off WA coast

Link

Following the finding of the "Kormoran" the wreck of the HMAS Sydney was located yesterday.

The loss of the Sydney was one of Australia's great wartime mysteries when she disappeared without trace with her crew.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there had been a few million in gold on one of the ships I dare say that the search would have been more enthusiastic.

There's a lot of water out there and I suppose cleaning up the mess in places like harbors and shipping lanes took priority after WW2.

Historic protection for HMAS Sydney, Kormoran

The wrecks of HMAS Sydney and the German raider Kormoran will be protected under the Historic Shipwrecks Act.

Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett will issue an interim protection declaration today after the dramatic discovery of the two ships.

The Sydney and the Kormoran were discovered 10 nautical miles apart off Western Australia's mid-west coast after a two-and-a-half week search.

Until now, the only trace of the Sydney has been a life raft and jacket, now housed in the National War Memorial, and the remains of a sailor washed up on Christmas Island.

The search team is now almost certain the man was from the Sydney.

Finding Sydney Foundation spokesman Ted Graham says it is important the wreck sites be left undisturbed.

"They contain the remains of many people and our view is firmly that they should be left alone," he said.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says the war dead will be treated "with complete respect."

The 645-strong crew of the Sydney was lost after the two ships fought a battle in 1941.

Link

Memory of mates remains vivid: sailor

An HMAS Sydney sailor who left the vessel just three weeks before she sank says the memory of his fallen mates is still as vivid today as it was in 1941.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd today confirmed that wreckage of the Sydney, sunk by the German raider Kormoran in November 1941, was found yesterday.

The Sydneyâ??s entire crew of 645 went down with the ship in the Indian Ocean in November 1941, and her location has been a mystery for more than 66 years.

World War II veteran Tom Fisher said some of the 645 sailors who lost their lives were very close friends of his.

â??I still think of them as young boys and at times I think if they stayed alive theyâ??d be old men like me,â? Mr Fisher told Network Ten.

â??In my mind theyâ??ll always be boys.â?Â

Mr Fisher said he left the Sydney three weeks before she sank, to join her sister ship HMAS Hobart in the Mediterranean.

He said shortly after officials learned the Sydney had sunk, a telegraphist told him to take off his HMAS Sydney cap band.

â??I just laughed at him and I said thatâ??s a joke mate, why hasnâ??t it been announced over the speakers and he said Iâ??m just telling you as a friend, the Sydney is lost, itâ??s gone.

â??Then it sunk in and I realised what had happened.â?Â

Link

Archived