11-Year-Old Girl Tasered

Steve

Should be interesting to see how this one plays out. The child has disabilities which the school was aware of. Instead of taking that into consideration, she was treated as an adult.

The USA is not very tolerant toward those with disabilities. For example, if a person has a problem with diabetes, they are responsible for what ever happens. The same argument will probably be used by the police if a person is drugged. Even though they might be a victim, they are still responsible. Scary shit.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office policy allows deputies to use Tasers when there is "active resistance" from a suspect. There is no rule against using Tasers on children, but in 2005 a Florida lawmaker tried to make it illegal for any officer to shock children with Tasers. The proposal was stalled because there is no scientific research showing what Tasers can do to kids medically.

Appears a bit extreme ....imo

I wouldn't say the USA is not very accepting of people with disabilities. Just look at the all the rules and requirements for handicapped facilities.

When it comes to drugs, I'd be interested to know if other Western countries allow people to escape responsibility for hurting others irregardless of whether they are handicapped or not in some way.

The classic example is someone on heavy anti-depressants like a high dose of Paxil. Just because your doctor gave your a prescription doesn't mean you get to drive when you don't have control of your vehicle.

It's nice if we could make exceptions, but I don't think just because someone is handicapped is going to affect the injured or dead motorists.

Wow, another story about my home town. O-town rocks.

I can't say much about this particular taser case. A 11 year old girl doesn't sound that scary or dangerous, but then I remember how crazy some students were when I was in junior high.

However, it seems law enforcement is starting to see the taser as a way to avoid having to risk the police officer getting hurt or having to get into a physical confrontation where more physical harm could occur to the person (suspect).

With a taser, you have a pretty reliable and high chance that no permanent harm will occur to the person. There's a lot of talk about how tasers have cause permanent damage and trauma, but are the odds better with a cop and a suspect getting into punches and wrestling? I'm guessing you have more of a chance that someone will get hurt....so I'm thinking maybe the cops are using tasers more because they want to avoid having to explain when a suspect gets badly hurt in a physical fight.

[color:red]"I wouldn't say the USA is not very accepting of people with disabilities. Just look at the all the rules and requirements for handicapped facilities."[/color]

Not really. Mostly a facade.

I have been told not to park in a certain handicap stop (permanent plate on truck) by the police, but have asked the same police why other non-handicap people can park in the same spot! I have actually stood in front of one car and the police officer said the car belonged to one of the store employees and another car was the car of a customer. Neither are handicap nor have handicap plates.

In this case, the girl had handicaps. I suspect two police officers could have subdued here instead of getting international attention for using a taser. Using a taser makes the police look like bullies, which in many cases, they are.

I would expect the lawsuit to be filed soon. There is always a lawsuit that follows. I think even if the cop physically restrained the child, there would still be some sort of controversy. Possibly a lawsuit by the parent(s) for 'hurting' or frightening their child if they were held down and cuffed or something.

I think in a situation like this you can't win.

Archived