Lord Coe blasts horrible Chinese thugs who barged their way through London

Flashermac

From what I've read, the Tibetan's want much more than the ground they were "given" 40-some years ago. It's more like about 4 times as much. That is more than China would be willing to give up. Further, there are other ethnic groups that would then join up and want they're own country also. One, in particular, would claim land equal to at least 1/4 of China. Not many countries would be willing to break itself up like that if given a choice. That is one reason the Tibet issue is so important to the Commies. :)

HH

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not just the 'Commies'. It's important to the Chinese in the West as well. Strategically Tibet is much too important to China to ever grant anything but limited autonomy. That's what the Dalai Lama is asking for but as far as China is concerned it's the thin end of the wedge...which is why they won't even talk to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping an old thread because San Francisco's zombie has completely updated her report on the Olympic Torch Relay in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. This is quite simply a fantastic piece of photojournalism regarding a profoundly interesting event.

Two things are clear:

1. San Francisco rocks.

2. zombie rocks San Francisco.

Scuffles in Japan at torch relay

The Olympic torch has met with more protests and scuffles on the latest leg of its troubled relay in the Japanese city of Nagano.

With security tight along the route, two demonstrators tried to seize the torch and a third threw eggs at the flame. All were arrested.

But correspondents say the relay passed off without serious disruption.

The streets were lined with thousands of Chinese supporters, as well as dozens of protesters.

A sea of wellwishers greeted the torch as the final runner completed the relay at a city park.

Officials said four people were slightly injured in separate incidents, and a smoke-emitting tube was thrown at the relay without effect, according to reports.

More than 3,000 police officers were brought in to guard the event after demonstrations had plagued the flame in some other cities on its route.

In a last-minute change, the Nagano leg of the relay began in a parking lot rather than a 1,400-year-old Buddhist temple.

The temple was withdrawn as the starting point after objections over China's crackdown in Tibet.

The start of the relay, with the torch first carried by the manager of Japan's national baseball team, was closed to the public, as were rest stops on the route.

Protests elsewhere on the torch's progress - and the huge security operations they have spawned - have turned the celebratory tour of 20 countries into what analysts describe as a public-relations disaster for Beijing.

Earlier, Japan told Chinese Olympics organisers that the large team of security officers who have accompanied the flame elsewhere would not be welcome here, says BBC Japan correspondent Chris Hogg.

Instead riot police in running gear surrounded the athletes carrying the torch along each stage of the four-hour relay.

Two columns of 40 police officers each flanked the torch, making it hard for spectators to see much, the organisers admit.

Link

You really want to live in this place???

:yikes:

Link

Looks like there's something for everybody in SF flasher. Scrotal inflation? Can't see that one catching on. Hard to get my head round the Uighurs and Tibetans just wanting independence but the Palestinians being nothing but muslim terrorists. Too much food for thought in Berkeley for my little mind.

Amazing that things haven't changed that much in Berkeley since I was a university student. Actually, the name of the game is to be outlandish and attract as much attention as possible. More of an ego thing than any real beliefs. Same same in the 1960s.

:dunno:

Amazing that things haven't changed that much in Berkeley since I was a university student. Actually, the name of the game is to be outlandish and attract as much attention as possible. More of an ego thing than any real beliefs. Same same in the 1960s.

I find it all very healthy in a way. Kind of a safety valve for society. Even the Scrotal Inflators...they need all the support they can get.

Archived