Nong Khai - Vientiane help

Tiger Moth

I would like to visit Vientiane for one or 2 nights. I would like to drive to Nong Khai. But, I have never been to either place and am concerned about having a place to leave my car in Nong Khai while I am in Vientiane. If anyone is familiar enough with Nong Khai to make a suggestion, I would appreciate it. Is it safe to assume I could then easily get a Tuk Tuk or whatever to take me to Vientiane.

Also, I have done a search on hotels to stay in Vientiane but the information is not current. I am only interested in a clean room with aircon in a hotel that is not rundown - inexpensive but not backpacker type. And, I would like the option of bringing a "friend" to the room.

So, I would like the hotel to be near the "nightlife" and would appreciate recommendations for places where I could meet a "friend" - any other related information would also be? appreciated (places to go, cost, things to avoid...).

In an old post a place called Lane Xane Hotel on the river was mentioned. I imagine it would be nice to stay by the river but maybe this is actually an inconvenient location. Any clarification/insight would be appreciated.

Also, Lao Paris hotel was mentioned in an old post. Any comments about this hotel would be appreciated.

I seem to remember someone mentioning in a post that there are some "happy" restaurants on the river - not happy pizza type - but, happy in the sense of having ladies available to supplement the dining experience.

Thank you for any information.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just before the border - about 300 meters on the right on approach is a rea of 5 or so "Visa" shops - YOU don't need them but any thai with you does.

Behind them is 50 baht a day secure parking.

NOW it sees scary as the U Turn is about 50meters PAST the shops, drive on, they won't let you cross the border anyway, and you'll get a u turn spot.

She has to do her visa /day pass there - you do yours at the border - DONT get a tuktuk for the 50 meter walk :)

Just to add, it is actually illegal for farang to have sex with a Laotian lady unless married to her first, the get-out-of-prison bribe around 5000 US! Also be aware that any Thai girls you take with you are fair game for the Lao men! Overall, a not unpleasant backwater of a city but you don't have to look too far beneath the smiles to see how plain nasty most Laotian men are.

Except for the commie flags (with the cannon ball hole through the middle), Wiengchan looks like an upcountry Thai city of 30 or 40 years ago. Even got the same taxis. I like the little city - but it's easy to get lost in the dark. I pick the Hai Soke Hotel, since it has Christmas lights all over the front and is easy to spot.

p.s. Surprisingly, it's not so cheap any more. Prices of food and beer about the same as Bangkok. Try not to OD on the fresh air!

:shocked:

The effing commies banned samlors from the city. Said they didn't fit the modern image. (What modern image?)

TigerMoth, you can leave your car at hotels like the Pantawee hotel, or as CTO says at the border parking.

I usually stay at the Saysana Hotel which is around 10USD a night and handy to the river front. Aircon etc, the stairs can be a little difficult to negotiate when drunk.

My post on a visa run I did last year may be of interest.

Sanuk Mak

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I won't be taking a Thai lady with me. But, I was considering some sanuk with a Lao lady.

However, not having $5,000 to spare and hearing nasty comments about Lao guys, may not be a good idea.

Any contrary opinions or experiences?

The SENGPHACHANH HOTEL is a new and comfortable hotel with a "Don't ask, don't tell" visitor policy, about a 15 minute walk to the river on Lane Xang Road, the road with the large arch monument. $17 for a nice room and a cold breakfast. Most of the hotels and guest houses close to the river and Fountain Circle are touchy about guests.

Lots of lady action around, just not in your face. There are freelancers who hang around the Monument park. They don't flirt with you but their pimps will approach you.

At night, go to the MEKONG HOTEL disco. When you enter the room, there will be tables on your left and straight ahead. On your right will be a blank wall. Follow the wall down about 15 feet and there will be an unmarked doorway on your right: go in and you will be in a bright pink room with anywhere from 40 to 60 pretty girls, from 18 to late 20's sitting in chairs. Don't expect them to smile or flirt with you, that's not the Lao way. Just ask for the Mama-San, make your selection and take her into the Disco for a drink or two and make your arrangements with her: ST/LT anywhere from $15 to $30.

Forget the Lang Xain Hotel disco; nothing but old pro's.

At night, it's a good idea to keep your Tuk-Tuk for the evening if you plan to visit a lot of places.

Archived