Nong Khai - Vientiane help

Tiger Moth

When my wife left school and went to work in Chiang Mai she assures me that she could barely make out what they were saying.

I'd be curious to see an online Kham Muang dictionary if there was such a thing.

I suspect that the nearer to Chiang Rai you get the greater the Lao influence on the dialect. You will never get a Thai to admit this though.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Kham Muang is spoken across the border in Laos. The French cut deeply in the territory of the Chao of Nan when they drew the western Lao border.

Also, in CR you find many Thai Lue - another ethnic group. My Mrs has some of that in her ancestry. She's also descended through her mother from the Chao of Chiang Tung - in the Shan states. A lot of mixing up of families in that area.

<< I'd be curious to see an online Kham Muang dictionary if there was such a thing. >>

No hab. :dunno:

Don't know why the study of Kham Muang is so neglected. Over 6 million of people speak it. The U of CM did have one bit of revenge though. All graduate students have to take a course in Kham Muang, including learning the old alphabet. My Mrs said she thought it was boring, but her classmates from Bangkok had to work hard. :)

Many Kham Muang words are closer to Lao than Thai, but others are just the opposite.

Just back - new hotel to recommend - Riverine Hotel - very pretty and on river - also Deung Duanne hotel around the corner is CHEAP as construction is going on in day time next door - 600 baht for a nice roo with bath ect.

For hire car's Mr Joiy is great - we've used him a few times has a van - +856 20 666 1231 call in advance and he'll meet you at border - same price as taxis but better value

Archived