55 provinces report dry conditions

Mentors

(BangkokPost.com) - The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Centre said 55 provinces are now suffering from drought, affecting more than 10 million people.

Some of the provinces affected by the drought include Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son in the North, Si Sa Ket, Nong Khai and Ubon Ratchathani in the northeastern region, and the southern provinces of Trang, Surat Thani and Ranong.

Four reservoirs contain contain about 30 to 40 per cent of capacity of water reserves.

The government has dispatched more than 286 million litres of water for irrigation and drinking purposes to help villagers affected by the drought.

The Centre uses "drought" to describe the annual dry season, from about March to July.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=127213

there was a heavy Rainstorm in Surat last week, now it's already too dry again :(

We had a lot of rain a couple of weeks back in Chiang Rai but it's been dry since. I think the farmers aren't complaining though because they planted a second rice crop and if they get too much early rain it will ruin the harvest.

We played in Korat this night. We had rain from 18.00 hours when we past Saraburi till we got back in Bangkok at 01.00 hours. Continuous rainfall. Sometimes very hard. In Korat city all streets where underwater when we left the city at 21.30.

So I guess the city of Korat will have enough water to replenish their reservoirs a littlebit ;) Hope it also fell in Pak Chong!

Waerth

Bangkok's been getting rain every night now. Cool enough when it rains, but like a steam bath when the sun comes up. :(

A taxi driver last night told me his sister told him it had "snowed" in Chiang Rai. I presume she meant hail. Thais don't seem to realise the difference between a nice light snowflake and a pea-sized hunk of ice.

Been raining like a muthafugga every day here the past 10 days or more. Plenty of water in Surin, and more than previous years in our village, and more to come. The 10th is the day we party and send up the rockets to enduce the rain gods to send more rain. Help! Are they nuts!? It's been raining like Noah's Flood is coming! Should be fun. I have a big rocket this year to send up. And bought quite a few bundles of smaller rockets along the highway from Khon Kean as well to play with.

Cent

Archived