Flight times to BKK

My last trip (a couple of weeks ago :( ) was PDX-LAX-TPE-BKK and return via the same rouing. Going was 18 hours in the air plus 6 hours combined at both LAX and TPE. Coming home 16.5 hours in the air, but only 3 hours on the ground (I got through customs at LAX the fastest that I have ever managed, 10 minutes from leaving the aircraft until I was out the door). I managed to get an earlier flight home which cut down the ground time considerably.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just booked my Cairns-Singapore leg with Jetstar Asia - came to a shade under AUD 1500 with $130 worth of travel insurance (dont want to get sick during first month in the Kingdom ...). Add in another 100-150 for an Air Asia return SGP-BKK and its a route that looks promising - I know that there are cheaper ways to get there, but I want to keep going northwest, not southeast followed by northwest :smirk:

Ticket says :

CNS 13:00 - SGP 19:00 : allowing for the 2 hour time diff, I make that 8 hours to get to Singapore, but that includes the transit time in Darwin (ticket makes no mention of that ..). I know that a return CNS-DRW flight can easily set you back $900, so I'm happy with a price which includes all airport taxes and some medical insurance. YMMD.

Return leg looks a bit more daunting -

SGP 22:15 - CNS 08:20

at least I'll have plenty of time to get to Changi airport from LOS to make my flight that night. Its all good - hopefully I will fly back with the documentation needed to get a significantly longer visa.

Jet Star uses the low cost terminal I think in Changi - you may end up entering Sillypore then leaving again by main terminal.

Seems expensive - my mum just booked Bris - Sing - Penang - Bkk - Sing - Bris for the same price.

Seems expensive - my mum just booked Bris - Sing - Penang - Bkk - Sing - Bris for the same price.

Plenty of bums on seats on a route like that, presumably including classes above cattle : IMO, thats where the airlines really make their money. As I said, I've chosen this route for the novelty of seeing the Australian continent disappear relatively quickly. :smirk:

Mostly have some Eastcoastish Americans in the cabin flying Eastbound via Frankfurt with a 3 hours stopover in FRA . Phantastic , 8 + 3 + 11 hours . Oh Lord in heaven .

i have done a eastbound trip (from US eastcoast to Bangkok) only once as

- it is much more expensive

- usually longer stopover as arrival from US in Europe is usually early morning and departure for BKK early afternoon or late evening

the usual trip is 5 hours Bangkok-Narita, 13 hours to Chicago and 2 hours to eastcoast; and i usually allow minimum 3 hours stopover in Chicago for immigration and change terminal (as i am a Alien there!)

and the trip back is even worse! no flights out friday evening after work! saturday morning up 0500 and arrive sunday evening 11pm in Bangkok!

if it ain't Bangkok, i would not do it!

Samak, I'll think of you and all board members who are in your position each morning as I roll over in my bed during the coming 6 months in the LOS. Of course, I think we both know the state I'll be in when the party is over and I have to return to Farangland, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. That particular flight can wait. :smirk:

One of life's guiltiest pleasures as a Uni student was to lie in for an hour or so on a crisp Monday morning in Brissie, and picture all wage slaves battling their way into work. Wasnt so much fun on 'payday' tho .....

Archived