film to digital

Khun Prasert

There is a shop in Fortune that does VHS - DVD - I have never asked about 8mm or super 8. I 'll ask next time there.

Beside Soi Thanyia - opposite a little coffee shop is a shop that does the same. I never go there - someone else may know.

Standard 8 or 8mm has no sound. Super 8 is sound capable.

The ability to play them back depends on the projector. Standard 8 hardware and bulbs are becoming exceedingly scarce. There is a little more Super 8 stuff out there.

The conversion process is very variable depending on how it is done. Do not expect DVD quality in any case, most likely just about watchable for the memories only.

I had one done in UK a couple of years back. Would like to know if you find anywhere in Bangkok.

My father had a huge box of the 8mm films, our family cartoons!

I found several shops in Bangkok, one was near the Lotus Store in On Nut, just the other side of Soi 50. About 100 ~ 200 baht per 50' reel? not sure as this was a few years ago.

Most the photo shops I went in to said they could provide this service.

There are lots of offers on the internet to provide this service, just google for them.

My sister had them done in a shop in the Dallas, Texas area, quite expensive!

It may be a two-step process. That is, transfer the film to tape and then tape to DVD.

I put some on VHS a few years ago. Really simple, but you must have a projector and then acquire a device that captures the image. I think I saw the device out in my garage a while back. :)

HH

Wife is checking through www.pantip.com, probably one of the largest Thai webboards.

I checked here and easily found 6 shops doing the film to DVD, 30 â?¬ per reel plus 1.5 â?¬ per meter, total about 360 â?¬ or 18K BT, hopefully cheaper in Thailand.

If you have the time and desire to do so...you can buy the device where you run the film (via the projector) into the "device" and record on to a video camera.

From the video camera you get a tape that you can play and output to an adapter to record on to your PC hard drive.

From the PC HD you can make a DVD or whatever.

My sister had the 8mm put on to VCR tapes and them I bought an adapter and made DVDs.

Also, as we waited some years before getting the 8mm on to DVDs, the 8mm get brittle and break easily...so store the 8mm in a cool/dry place and

do the transfer soon.

I would say that the adapters (both of them) would cost you under $100 USD.

Archived