Thai PM vows to end anti-government protests

tartempion

In case you did not notice, I really do not wish them to have a bloodbath as despite everything I love this country. (for reasons others than the women)

:)

Anyway, maybe I bear bad luck to people around me.

-> Can my negative powers affect a whole country?

If so, then I can make huge money.

:beer::neener:

Kent State wasn't the Army. It was the Ohio National Guard, ordered out by the Governor of Ohio after vandalism and looting, plus the torching of the ROTC building. The guv was an absolute nutter:

<< During a press conference, Governor Rhodes called the protesters un-American and referred to the protesters as revolutionaries set on destroying higher education in Ohio. "They're worse than the brownshirts and the communist element and also the nightriders and the vigilantes," Rhodes said. "They're the worst type of people that we harbor in America. I think that we're up against the strongest, well-trained, militant, revolutionary group that has ever assembled in America." >>

On the next day ... "When it was obvious the crowd was not going to disperse, a group of 77 National Guard troops from A Company and Troop G began to advance on the hundreds of protesters with bayonets fixed on their weapons. The guardsmen had little training in riot control."

... "At this point, at 12:22 PM, a number of guardsmen at the top of the hill abruptly turned and fired their M1 Garand rifles at the students. The guardsmen directed their fire not at the closest students, who were on the Taylor Hall veranda, but at those on the grass area and concrete walkway below the veranda, at those on the service road between the veranda and the parking lot, and at those in the parking lot. Bullets were not sprayed in all directions, but instead were confined to a fairly limited line of fire leading from the top of the hill to the parking lot. Not all the soldiers who fired their weapons directed their fire into the students. Some soldiers fired into the ground, while a few fired into the air. >>

Basically, it was an idiot guv who sent poorly trained VN War combat shirkers (NG "no goes") onto a university campus, where they made an utter bodge of things. "Four students were killed and nine others wounded, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Thanks flashermac.

I remember this tragic event as it was taken by one of my teachers as the perfect example of what a democratic state should not do.

I just hope that Thailand will not undergo (once more) such a mess...

Although with Samak as PM he already has some experience dealing with trouble makers and "commies". (limited experience because there was

"only one dead")

:banghead:

PS: Flashermac could you scroll through your post in the "board bar" titled: "As WWII vets pass, memories preserved ".

And look at the photo of Julian2's Dad.

Where was this photo taken, I had it wrong.

I remember this tragic event as it was taken by one of my teachers as the perfect example of what a democratic state should not do.

Precisely. And if it can happen in the U.S.of A. then it should not be surprising that it can happen anywhere at anytime.

1970 is very recent history and I would surmise well within the lifetime of many, if not most, of the members of this forum. This is not an event that happened during the Dark Ages.

What was even more shocking than the shooting at Kent State was the public reaction. An amazing number of people seemed to think the protestors "got what they deserved". I saw the same reaction in Thailand after the 1976 massacre of protestors at Thammasat University. It's disturbing how many think killing those you disagree with is acceptable.

:(

Maybe when your next-door neighbors are Burma, China, and other assorted oppressive Communist regimes, it's easy for an inexperienced SEA PM to get his hackles up at the first sign of resistance.

His attitude almost seems to echo that of Zao Ming when he recently said, " These people were just disrupting society. ... The government will solve their problems."

China Making Progress

Archived