Gold and Silver Bars

some of the jewelry stores have 1oz gold igots, Swiss mainly from what I've seen. The prices seemed conciderably higher than in the states,way above the usual primiums. I don't know if you can bargin them down or not. I saw a few gold commemeratives available as well, but again at very high prices. I am told the gold is imported, and as such, is subject to taxes etc...maybe better to invest at home?

o.k. ...I was on Yawaraj Rd. this morning...And Fat Bastard! they had a 1 kilo bar! Swiss credit, what ever that means. prices, 152 gram ingot of 23kt (96.5% according to the clerk) is 61,500Baht. 76gram same thing, 30,750Baht. This is a shop at 426 Jawaraj Rd. (aka Yawaraj Rd.),called Toa Kang Jawaraj Goldsmith & Jewelry. It appears to be several different dealers under one roof, each selling different types of items. One lady had Chinese Panda sets, proof type sets, didn't get the price, but such things usually have quite a high premium on them due to collector's value. Liang Seng Heng Goldsmith Co. Ltd. also had some Swiss Credit ingots as well, and a few coins. Can't remember the location, either 303 or 375 Yawaraj Rd., they have 2 locations on that road. They also have a branch at 190 Sukhumvit Rd., near Soi 10. Hope the info helps!

I would be very skeptical of buying pure gold in thailand, too much chance to get screwed.

and if you were to sell it anywhere, they would probably want to test it for purity.

about 4 years ago ( when gold was worthwhile) there were some fake canadian 1 0z coins going around in Phuket.

I found out the hard way ( more or less) I had a real one I wanted to sell, and almost got the 3rd degree from the shop owner and a local cop ( either undercover, or just some thug with a gun and an id).

either way, unless you are buying gold jewlery because you like it, I doub't you will come out ahead in the long run.

Archived