800,000 Baht visa req.

Recently when I renewed my retirement visa, they made me sign a paper at immigration that made me promise to have the 800K amount required in an account a full three months before I renew my visa. WTF is that?

My question is this. Are there any viable interest bearing solutions here in Thailand? As of next year I can't just transfer the money over a week or two before renewing my visa.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

many Farangs just borrowed the money until they get the Visa, that's why they changed this rule.

a friend of mine said in future you must have 800'000 Baht for SIX month (instead three) in the account, not shure if this is correct

When I showed that I had 800kb in my account for visa reasons I had to prove that it came from outside the country. For my last 3 renewals I just got an notarized statement from the (US) embassy that said that I had income for more than 800kb per year.

When I showed that I had 800kb in my account for visa reasons I had to prove that it came from outside the country. For my last 3 renewals I just got an notarized statement from the (US) embassy that said that I had income for more than 800kb per year.

At times I've used the income verification statement from the Embassy; other times just used my Thai bank balance as I didn't want to make the trip to BKK to obtain the income statement

You _do not_ need to get a notarized statement to prove if the funds came from outside the country, as you bank book has codings, one of which indicates if deposits were transferred from outside Thailand.

The "three month" rule is in effect for the marriage visa too, though it's only 400,000 for that. A former colleague had been dumping 400,000 in his bank account just before visa time and taking it out right afterwards to put in a higher interest bearing account. They told him he can't do that anymore. He has to leave it there at maybe 1%, instead of putting it into promissary notes at 3%. He got pissed off and went back to the States.

Archived