Thailand Internet?

cavanami

What is up or rather why is the internet dropping out every few minutes? slow as shit???

I have CsLox and it is usually OK but the last few weeks have been terrible!

I chatted with the tech people at CsLox and they could only blame it on the BTS construction...can this be? :susel: :thumbdown: :(:confused::dunno:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using TRUE highspeed internet 1MBit connection and facing similar issues since ~2months. Frequent drop outs and slowdowns. Downloading form torrent sites which worked OK before became almost impossible.

I called TRUE a couple of times but they found no problem from their side. Up and download test pages return OK results.

May be the link below is one reason:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/040608_Database/04Jun2008_data003.php

Not wanting to teach anybody to suck eggs but here's just a few thoughts, well only one actually, about how to diagnose this from your end.

Your ISP probably can't tell too much about what's happening if all they can see is from the DSLAM, the box in your nearest exchange that puts the digital broadband stuff on your phone line. Now you could be up to 3KM from that and so the bit between your ADSL modem and the DSLAM, the local loop, might be, often is, where the problem really is. Of all the connections that exist in the local loop, screw terminals, IDC, even bits of wire twisted together, the single most common failure point is the humble RJ-11, that little plastic plug of which one end is in your modem and the other in your wall socket. Very often the contact pressure on these can be so slight that over time they will become intermittent or poor, this can lead to a drop in the overall performance.

As a start go to your router/modem info page and look for something about ADSL status. There you should be able to find numbers for noise margin and attenuation. Expect these to be 20-30dB and more. The higher these the better your connection. Noise margin is how much difference in dB between the signal and the noise floor. If this is not sufficiently high enough it can get hard for the modem to differentiate between real signal and just noise. Attenuation suggests how much the modem needs to crank down its gain so the signals fall within its window of operation, again the higher this number the better. If the signal is being attenuated so is the noise so your noise margin improves.

If these numbers are not good, and it would help to have benchmarked them when good and new, then most likely the local loop is where you need to focus. In the first instance pull out those RJ-11's and plug em back in again, maybe ten times trying to get a better contact. You might in really bad cases need to change the socket or cable or even go around any connections from the wall socket to the drop outside your property or wherever the incomer terminates.

I've fixed a bunch of problems like this and they often come back after 6-10 months when the contacts start to give out again. The moist air seems to make the contacts start corroding particularly quickly.

Right now, I have:

Noise Margin: Up, 31 dB; Down, 22.3 dB

Attenuation: 27 dB; 43,3 dB

Lots of errors in the "down": CRC, 280; HEC, 188

Max Tx PSD: -38 dBm/Hz

Looks OK on my end but dropped out while I was sending this message! farkin' internet, grrrrrrrrr

Fool...

Thanks for the info...!!

Though I have a fairly consistent and reliable u/d speeds of 200/100 with TT&T's Maxnet with my 2048/1024kBs connection, I'd never knew how to diagnose my router before.

I noticed that my downstream speeds meet or exceed your suggested 20/30dB parameters, yet my upstream is merely 13dB. Thus, could the RJ jack possibly account for this, as I'm only about a km from the local switching station?

thanks...

Sounds plausible. Well worth unplugging and working them in and out of the socket a few times. Do both the wall jack and the one on the router. Restarting the router in the process and see if it gets any better.

Disclaimer: I don't profess to be an expert at this, I should but I wont. I'm not really certain what the numbers ought to be other than what seems to work and what they look like when things don't. I do know that if you have good connectivity and speed to local sites but not international ones then your local loop connections are most likely okay!

From Cavanami's post:

I actually do understand what -38dBm/Hz means, or could mean, but not what PSD is. Some of these routers have some odd things in them. Very rarely see them well explained and never in the books that come with them.

Actually I'll re-address this: Attenuation will be low if the line length is short. It is a measured amount of line attenuation between your modem and the exchange end so lower is better and necessary at higher speeds. My attenuation figures suggest I am between 3.5 to 4km from the exchange, sounds about right for me.

Here are a couple of useful sites with info that I think can be applied in all cases not just the specifics of Sky boxes and Telkom:

Info from skyuser uk

web-board discussion of atten and noise margin

Cavanami, CSLox info here too...and periods of drop outs...they blamed my line, so I got an engineer out...line fine...

Then they blamed the rain...when it was winter and no rain I rang again...they said it was the phone line....

And on and on....

But yes, lately very bad....

I think under investment and maximising profits (read, screwing the public who never complain) is the problem. CSLox info is the most expensive and totally shit support wise.

This country needs investment and people who know what they are talking about. It wont happen soon.

I am thinking that CsLox will do nothing but take the money. When customers get pissed off and quit the CsLox service, then the speed will improve and everyone happy...except that customers that were paying all the while the CsLox service was for shit!!! TIT...and CsLox never misses a beat pulling in the $$$ :dunno:

Archived