Maximum ATM withrawal

Anybody have an idea what the maximum amount the Thai atm machines will let you withdraw at one time?

My home bank charges an arm and a leg for international transactions, so I'd like to keep them to a minimum by taking out as much as I can.

Is it possible to do the exchange inside a bank branch for a larger amount?

A lot of it depends on the maximum amount that your home bank allows on ATM withdrawls. My home bank allows $500 max amount daily, so I can take out 16,000 baht. I have an account at Siam Commercial Bank and had to withfraw 90,000 baht last week, it allowed me to do it on an ATM at 20,000 baht intervals.

I used my Visa card to withdraw 800,000 baht when I bought my car. I did this inside the bank through the teller.

When I built my house I used the ATM card to withdraw 100,000 baht from a money exchange on a couple of occasions.

No problems, if you have the money in your bank the Thai banks will give it to you.

I have also withdrawn large amounts inside the bank on several occasions.

Be sure to tell your bank in advance that you plan to take out a large amount or the transaction request will be most likely rejected by your home bank/visa due to concerns over fraud.

It also depends on the Thai ATM. SCB lets you only withdraw 20 bills at a time. These can be 20 1000 bt bills or whatever combo between 1000, 500 and 100 bt bills. But always a max of 20 bills. I found this out when I needed to take out the max allowed by my Dutch bank which was 16900 baht that day and the ATM was out of 500 baht bills. I could only withdraw 16400 in the end.

Waerth

some banks's atm's will allow 25 (bangkok bank etc) or 30 (citibank sathon etc) bills i.e. 30k tops a pop & how many daily with drawels as said is determined by the card issuers policy.

in the end if having a thai bank account a telegraphic bank transfer (TT) also called 'wire' or remittance from overseas will secure a better exchange rate than ATM with drawels everything being equal so worth considering for large amounts like car & house purchases!

cheers!

Archived