Maximum ATM withrawal

I have also withdrawn large amounts inside the bank on several occasions.

Be sure to tell your bank in advance that you plan to take out a large amount or the transaction request will be most likely rejected by your home bank/visa due to concerns over fraud.

I forgot to mention that, they actually rang me then and there.

As the transaction go's through to your local bank, it it usually set at that same banks rate.

So if you have a £500 daily allowance then thats all you can take out.

One thing to remember though is the exchange rate set by your home bank. My first trips to LOS allowed me to take out 20,000 baht without any problems, with the decline of the pound versus the baht I can only take out around 18,000 on a £300 daily allowance.

Another thing to watch out for is that if you take out money over a period of consecutive days your bank may block your card as potential fraud. Always tell them where you are in the world so that they have the details. Common sense you might think but you'd be surprised at how many people dont bother then get stranded abroad.

• 3 weeks later...

If you get an ATM card from a Thai bank, you should apply for the 'debet' card option. A regular ATM card allows for withdrawals of 20,000 baht maximum per day. If you have the debet card, you can withdraw up to 200,000 baht a day (at least with Siam Commercial Bank),though you can not do it in one go, but like 10 times 20,000 baht. I guess the ATM machine does simply not allow for a large amount of bills in one go.

Archived