Are there any good Clothing districts in Thailand?

AD1985

I don't know if Thailand had any well known clothing districts but I am looking to get some new clothes and could either buy them here in los angeles (where we have melrose avenue which is good but pricy) or wait until I head over to Thailand.

The plan is to stay in Chiang Mai but I would probably be willing to travel if taxi fares weren't outrageous.

Thanks

I was tempted to get a suit when three friends and i visited Phuket last December but ran out of spending money. Subsequently a lady one of my friends kept in touch with told him you basically get what you pay for so a £60 suit isn`t such a terrific bargain.

There are a few very well known tailors in Bangkok, costlier than others but worth it.

For the rest you have to try them and see. Have them make a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers.

Realise that most of those in hotels or along Sukhumwit actually have someone else do their work, probably in Chinatown. If they are offering a "bargain package", it is going to be cheap workmanship. Have clothes made individually and pick out your own material.

I'm sure there are good tailors in Chiangmai, but I don't know which ones. I've never had any clothes made there. I had a tailor I was very happy with in Bangkok, good work and reasonable prices. But he had been in business since 1953 and finally died. I'm still hunting for a replacement. :(

The Pratunam area in Bkk.is packed with all kinds of clothes stalls...its quite large and interesting to look round but can get very crowded esp. at weekends...an easy way to get there is to take the boat on the Sen Sairb canal it stops right next to the market.

Archived