import thai motorcycle to the US

buddha

I miss my suped up honda sonic. I can't buy anything comparable to that in the US and I crave my old repsol motorized chainsaw.

Anyone know of any companies that would export one?

The 125 cc sonic would be the perfect NYC bike. Any information would be helpful.

[color:purple]3. Requirements to lawfully import motorcycles or motor-driven cycles for on-road use.

If a motorcycle or motor driven cycle is capable of a top speed above 20 miles per hour and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as having been primarily manufactured for such purposes. Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles with these capabilities and equipment cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless they were originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the original manufacturer. The label must be affixed to a permanent member of the vehicle, as close as is practicable to the intersection of the steering post and the handle bars, so that its contents can be easily read without moving any part of the vehicle except for the steering mechanism. In addition, the vehicleâ??s manufacturer is required to submit to NHTSA identifying information on itself and the products it manufactures to the FMVSS (as required by 49 CFR Part 566), provide NHTSA with information the agency would need to decipher the VIN the manufacturer is required (under 49 CFR Part 565) to assign to each motor vehicle manufactured for sale in the U.S., and designate a U.S. resident as its agent for service of process (as required under 49 CFR 551.45).[/color]

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page3.html

Cheers,

SD

PS -- FMVSS = Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

• 4 weeks later...

I used to enjoy restoring older motorcycles and once picked-up a Honda CB400 at a barn sale in New Hampshire for $25. There were no papers but since the manufacture date preceded the Title law enactment date, I figured I could grandfather it in.

I put a lot of work into it and got it into pretty good shape but when it came time to register it, I discovered that it had been manufactured in Canada: long story short, I gave up after two years of trying everything I could think of to get plates for it; no way, Jose.

Archived