Africa is giving nothing to anyone- apart from AIDS

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind racism, I'm just happy to get a reply from a legendary board member like you. I met Flashermak once (whilst I was being held up by a bargirl from Livingstone's just tall enough to serve as a crutch), but I have never met you, JJ, or Viking, although I have met SFM. :)

:_party:

Kevin Myer doesn't like the Scots either.

There lies the ruin of Scotland - subsidies. Guaranteed transfers of capital from England have created a political culture of sloth which is now endemic and even personalised. Scottish people are the most obese in Europe, in which regard they resemble the wretched Scottish statelet. Only a minority of Scottish people work for a living - and most of those who have jobs are employed by the state: 577,300. In other words, they are employed by the English to manage themselves. The rest of the Scots are on the dole or pensions, living in state-owned housing estates, sending their children to state-run schools, where the most likely form of personal enterprise they will ever encounter is their local heroin-dealer.

:rotl::rotl:

I'm going to bookmark this guys columns, this one is hilarious too.

Kevin Myers: Sex, guns and the IRA.

Belfast city-centre club I frequented was a desperate place. I only went because I needed the company and it had one great redeeming feature: an enchantingly pretty waitress called Danielle. As I left one night I found her at the door and asked if she wanted a lift. She smiled and said yes, and I drove her to her home off the Falls Road.

"What's that?" she asked, pointing at my beeper.

I explained I paid an agency to notify me of messages and warn me of explosions and shootings.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a journalist. I need to know these things." She was silent for a minute. "I'm sorry, but I told my local OC [Officer Commanding] I thought you were a peeler. I gave him your car number and all. Jesus, I'm sorry, but you could be in real trouble here, you know?"

"You gave the IRA my car number? You followed me out of the club?" She nodded. "I did, aye, last week."

It was my turn to be silent. Finally I said: "If you thought I was a police officer, why did you accept a lift from me?"

She looked away. "Because I sort of liked you, if you know what I mean."

No, there's no making sense of that.

The next Sunday she was working at the club again â?? heavens, she was pretty â?? and she gave me a wink. "I seen the OC," she said, "and you're dead on, so you are."

"You want a lift again tonight?"

"I do, aye, but not so direct, if you get my drift."

Once we got back to my place I asked her about herself. No, she wasn't in the IRA, but she did what she could for it. Meaning? Oh wee things, like holding open the flaps of letter boxes. What?

She told me the IRA would remove the outer flap on a letter box, but leave the inner one. It would be attached to a piece of string and girls such as Danielle would hold the flap open inside the house from a distance, using the string, while an IRA sniper deep in the hall would wait for a soldier to come into distant view down whatever street the letter box commanded.

A single shot and the girl would release the string and the rest of the foot patrol would see nothing.

"You've actually done this?"

"Aye, a few times. It's very borin', an' all, specially when fuck all happens," she said, grumpily.

"You ever do this when a soldier got shot?"

"Worse luck, no."

"Danielle, if you had, you know you would have been guilty of murder, legally and morally."

"Me? Guilty of murder for holding up a wee letter box? Away and shite."

I explained that as an assistant to murder she would be as guilty as the man who pulled the trigger. She looked wonderingly at me. "You see, that's what we're fighting," she said indignantly. "British injustice like that there."

I told her â?? as if this was news to her, and it probably was â?? of what an immense and terrible thing it was to kill anyone. The most appalling thing that had ever happened to me had been the death of my father, which caused me grief for many years.

"That's different. Your da wasn't a British soldier."

"But my uncle was. And British soldiers' families have feelings too, you know."

"Are you going to keep talking shite like this all night or are you going to kiss me?"

This only a piece of it, enjoy the rest here.

Link

I actually first saw SFM and Chunky at Changi airport while wasting the wee hours away between flights. We never talked. It wasn't until later that night at Rififi that we realized we knew each other from the message boards. KK and Chokdi were there too that night, IIRC.

• 1 year later...
Africa is also giving oil, copper, uranium, gold, diamonds and gas to the western world. I guess that just didn't fit well with the 'point' the writer was trying to make. :shifty:

Yes so very true but in most cases the local population see little if any of these riches come their way.

Great for funding the extravicant life style of whatever dictator and their cronies happens to be in power at the time until the next military coupe.

Africa is also giving oil' date=' copper, uranium, gold, diamonds and gas to the western world. I guess that just didn't fit well with the 'point' the writer was trying to make. :shifty: [/quote']

Yes so very true but in most cases the local population see little if any of these riches come their way.

Great for funding the extravicant life style of whatever dictator and their cronies happens to be in power at the time until the next military coupe.

The sad truth is, the more raw material (oil, copper, etc.) a country has, the more corrupt is the elite, the more poorer and powerless are the common people.

Archived