Tony Snow dies.

devils reject

When I was a young man, I was forced to endure such places as Amelio's (an Italian place run by an Irish guy) and the Tadich Grill, when my dad was working in SFO. Gosh, my life was so hard back then. :mad:

Hey, anyone wanting to kick in with a nice eulogy for Tony Snow, or a recommendation for an Italian restaurant in San Francisco, or even the general bay area, please chime in!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... not awfully bad. A bit bad. Depends on what you order. Like all fast food chains the buns are terrible.

For my money the best thing to come out of those type of places is the Maccas breakfast.

Couple of rounds of Sausage MacMuffins, a bag of hashbrowns and a HUGE OJ is very good hangover therapy.

Yes, unless you want to post something nice in the memory of Tony Snow. Your choice.

Knowing the local penchant for trusting the teller rather than the tale, I won't bother with posting here any of the copious accolades bestowed upon the great and dear Tony Snow by his conservative brethren. Here instead are some words by the notably leftist Susan Estrich:

Tony had a sweetness about him, a sweetness that, in the mean world that Washington and the media can be, sometimes led him to believe that everyone operated from the same place he did. We hung out together in New Hampshire four years ago, during the primary; I had rented a car, and he hadnâ??t, and it was a measure of his courage, or foolhardiness that he would drive back and forth with me every day between the hotel in downtown Manchester and the FOX Box that was 20 minutes of winding roads away. I would regale him with gossip about who was doing what to whom, who was after whom, who was up and who was down, and he would gobble it up, wide-eyed. He was so earnest, so dear, he liked everyone and assumed the same about everyone else; he was honorable and honest, and assumed it about others. You are so naive, I used to say to him. He would shake his head.

But he wasnâ??t really naive. He just knew what mattered and what didnâ??t, what was worth caring about and what wasnâ??t. He loved his Sunday show, but when he lost it, he didnâ??t complain, he just turned his energy to radio. He loved being handsome and strong, but when cancer struck, and took that away, at least for a time, he didnâ??t complain, he just fought it. He thought he had beaten cancer, but when he learned that he hadnâ??t, that he wouldnâ??t, he vowed to live with it, to be an example.

Our friend, our boss, Roger Ailes called him a â??renaissance man.â? He was. Articulate, educated, informed, he was all those things. But for me, what defined him was not what was in his head but what was in his heart. He was a mensch. A good man died today.

As for Italian food in San Francisco, a word to the wise should be sufficient. That word, of course, is Tommaso's.

Let it never be said that your buddy rogue yam is not a full-service poster.

Archived