NGV conversion - any damage to petrol engines?

In Oz, I think it's LPG....but I've been wrong before...(on the very odd occasion...lol)

I've never "run on gas"...but I recall reading that there were possible issues when a car was converted to LPG after a period of running on petrol....

From what I recall, running on petrol (if not properly tuned) can cause carbon build up on the valves and when converted to gas the additional heat can cause the carbon to burn and damage the valves (burn out!!)...... thus requiring a "Head Job"....LOL

I switched to Diesel a while back....when it was cheaper than petrol....but now it's 0.20 a litre more expensive.... :dunno::banghead::banghead::banghead::dunno: ...Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

But like a good old petrol engine....I ALWAYS feel better after a Head Job....(whether my valves need it or not....lol)

Maybe some of the engineers can explain it better???

Cheers DS

NGV (Natural Gas Vehicle) is also referred to as CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). Primary Component of Natural Gas is Methane CH4 the shortest and lightest Hydrocarbon Molecule.

LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas)is mainly Liquified Propane C3H8 plus Propylene and Butane.

The advantage that NGV/CNG has is that it is LTA (Lighter than Air) whereas LNG is HTA (Heavier than Air) so in the event of a leak or tank rupture NGV/CNG disperses up into the atmosphere whereas LNG will tend to form low level gas pockets susecptical to explosion is their is an ignition source.

Sir,

Did you mean LPG is heavier then air, not LNG (Liquid Natural Gas)? I believe LNG must be maintained at some really cold temperature not to revert back to natural gas and is only used for transporation purposes not in vehicles?

:worship::worship:

Archived