Angelini

dullnight

As it looks like an auspicious day for italian restaurants reviews here we go:

Reached Angelini this evening around 6.30 for drinks, got a sit downstairs. Uncomfortable as the seat is too deep so moved to the Shangri La lobby bar.

Got a couple of martinis and draft beers, OK. Moved back to Angelini. Decent table upstairs, the jazz singer is nice and the design is OK, although not great. Waitress came and she had a full lao look with very heavy make up. Kind of to upmarket service what bleeding haemorroids are to a fine russian anal sex videoclip close up. I'd rather pass. She was polite though so we didn't leave straight away.

Starter was tuna tartar, really not a fancy dish, but the portion was so small I thought it might have been caviar. No taste whatsoever to add comment on. Than came the Beef part for 2, what kind of psycho do they have in the kitchen that put so much salt on those?? I scrapped as close as I could with a knife but still the salt taste was overwhelming. Followed long after the meal.

Started to get seriously upset and asked for the bill. Free tray of sweets came than, chocolates and marshamallows, actually quite nice. Finally ordered an espresso and this was the best part of the meal. Bill came, 6000 for 2, nothing scary but for a couple of thousand more you will have a much better experience in Mezzaluna or most french restaurants in town.

Than we left to The Oriental for an outdoor cigar but the rain hit us right outside the Shangri La. Must be either kharma or those evil muslims.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you prefer traditional italian food, you are certainly disappointed at Angelini.

they have a very creative cuisine and i had actually a couple of outstanding dishes there. some are so so and others are a complete failure. that's creative cuisine!

winelist is very comprehensive and would certainly convince anybody with a certain basic knowledge of wines to refrain from martinis and draft beer!

you probably had just bad luck because you sticked to the only 2 (rather ordinary) dishes you could recognize on the menu! you should next time be a bit more adventurous and ask the lao lady in heavy make up for some creative recommendations! :neener:

Well... martinis and beers were had in the Shangri la lobby bar, if they had a more pleasant area for drinks in Angelini we could have tried there. Not much choice for drinks in Shangri La, and I'm very cautious of too sweet fancy cocktail creations, actually they also mix very good Negronis who have the merit to bring back happy memories from Spain but already abused of them twice in the last few days.

I had a couple of wine by the glass, in the low end though, but nothing much to say about them - not too bad either considering the price.

I also checked Missus's seafood soup, which looked nice with the large prawn in the middle but also found the taste disappointing.

As of the beef, this was one of the worst piece I got to taste, although the medium rare cooking was OK. Actually wondering now if the girl didn't mix up the pepper with the salt shaker when she poured it. It was really over the top. Nothing was exciting there except the dessert tray.

Besides the form is important, and although she was polite, the waitress doesn't belong to such a restaurant.

I could trust your word here, but it will take several months before I give this place a second try.

Archived