Can you recommend a Good BKK Tailor ??

I realize "Good" is a subjective term.

What I'm asking, is has anyone had good personal experience(s) with any tailor in particular.

Would like to have a couple of suits made, and I'm not against spending good money to do it, but for that, I expect quality work at fair prices.

I'd be interested in answers to the following:

Location/Name of shop/tailor who helped you?

How long to finish your order?

What types of suit(s) made?

Shirts made?

Costs?

Thanks in advance !!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to see a "Good" suit from these folks.

I was talking to an upper crust Thai friend the other day, he would'nt be seen dead in one of these handmade jobs. Prefers the real thing. I have a friend who uses Narry, up on Suk Soi 11/1 near the Swiss Park Hotel though

http://www.narry.com/

BTW The tailor of the year thing is crap, they pay to get the award, thats why all the tailors seem to have them

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Swishtz ]

Hello all! Phil, nice to "see" you...

I have used Majestic Tailors on Sukhumvit, Soi 4, part of the Majestic Suites Hotel. The Indian owners are very polite and the suits, while not exactly Armani, have generally worked well for me. This last trip among other things I picked up was a 3-button, raw Thai silk suit that makes me look like a very well-heeled Mafiosi. Suits run from about $150US to about $200. Compared to what's available in the states, they are a very good bargain. Their custom shirts are the best bargain, however; at around $10 to $12. Make certain that you ask for higher collars and get them a little longer in the sleeves than you normally would because they do shrink. I order additional stuff from them over the Net. Cheers. Oh, and they can finish things up as quickly as you like, just a couple of days for 5 shirts and suits in a few days with a fitting during the process to make sure they are on the right track. Chicago Dave

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: chicago dave ]

I like Manhattan tailors Suk 11/1, as I have had a couple of jacketsnade there, I have one that they did, when I got home, several weeks later I put a burn in one of my jackets, so on my next trip, I took it back to see if they good fix. They told me they couldn't but the made me a new jacket at no cost to me. I also had suite made there and it is good quality.

When I went in Sept, I new I wanted to get a suit or two since I was in town. I have to admit, I kinda got lazy and literally went to the closest place I could find (from Nana Hotel). So I went across the street to Tajmahal Clothiers (I believe it's to the right of NEP as you cross the street).

I got a 3 piece wool suit, a silk double-breasted sport coat, and a tuxedo jacket all for $500. (Including shipping to the USA.) The cut and attention to detail were excellent and everything fit correctly. In fact I'm considering having a few more custom garments made by these guys.)

Actually, whomever you decide to use as your tailor, you get what you pay for. If you pay $150 for one of those 3 suit, 5 shirt, 6 tie package deals, they will probably be crap.

On the topic of clothes, I would avoid those 100baht per tie deals you see for sale off Sukhumvit, since they were wrapped, I didn't realize how crappy they were till I took them back to the states...

Anyhow, that's my 2baht...

-=/NN

I used Gulati Tailors on advice from Bangkok Phil, located on the other side of the street on the same soi as NEP.

In 5 days they made me 6 shirts 3 pairs of pants and a few ties for just under $200. Have had many compliments on the clothing from folks back home. So far, quality seems to be just fine. (and dig the free 7up!!!)

You can find cheaper, though.

I would have to agree w/ Chicago Dave. I've also use Majestic, and been extremely happy with their work. Go for a suit that's a wool/cashmere blend, and order each with an extra pair of trousers. They should last you years.

i used lucky & oscar on sukhumvet ... near nana but on the opposite side of the road .. got some shirts and 2 wollen lightweight suits ..

for the shirts i paid 500 baht and the suits about 6000 each.. the guy did a very good job and it took him 3 days to make the suits

Archived